Things I have learned today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LewisLondon

Again, I have learnt how important wind is and how you can't compare one day's performance with another. Coming in yesterday and today - 15mph, around 120W average. Going home yesterday, 17mph, 190W. Difference? A steady north wind.

How are you measuring Watts? Given it's the effort you put in, i would expect it to be easier with a wind, therefore less effort?

Karlt

How are you measuring Watts? Given it's the effort you put in, i would expect it to be easier with a wind, therefore less effort?

Strava. The wind was against me going in and behind me going home, hence Strava overestimated power on the way home and underestimated it on the way in. I daresay a power meter on the bike would have reported the opposite discrepancy.

Firestorm

Veteran
I have already bought padded shorts, they are a godsend and I can wear looser clothes over the top!
Do mudguards count as an upgrade?
I am so not going on a group ride yet. I get nervous if Him Indoors gets too close, let alone other people...lol
I am reading these to my wife , who is also new to this cycling malarky (I mentioned it in my post yesterday in the my ride today) . She loves your posts.
She hopes that you dont have to add one more "Thing you learned today"- I shouldnt wear anything under my padded shorts

One piece of advice I failed to impart before our ride yesterday I'm afraid

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
I am glad she likes them. I do know about the padded shorts thing, I found out a couple of weeks ago due to soreness too. I will have another post later :smile:

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

More things I have learned today

1) The world will not stand still and stare if I cycle to work in my shorts with no trousers over the top.
2) I am enjoying riding on the roads a lot more than I thought I would
3) Strava is addictive, I am trying to beat my own time all the time!
4) I miss my bike at the weekends if I am too stiff/busy to ride it
5) I can actually cycle home faster than I can drive it now as I just go round traffic.

Karlt

As well as learning that wind has a big effect you have also learnt that estimated watts mean nothing.

I know. I wasn't clear. I meant "estimated Watts"; the actual real effort was about the same; if anything, I was working harder with the lower estimated figure.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
We wouldn't have rhubarb without the traders that travelled the Silk Road.

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Things I have learned today

1) The bike sounds very different in the rain, so does the road
2) The spray from lorries is remarkable
3) My mudguards are a thing of beauty
4) Riding in the rain is not as bad as I thought
5) My warehouse chap is lovely and has let me put Maude in there so she is not out in the rain all day

Nibor

Bewildered
Things I learned on Saturday

My Fat Lad at the Back induces mirth in the muggles.
(possibly as it is the spare tyre edition and fits me lol)

Karlt

Things I learned on Saturday

My Fat Lad at the Back induces mirth in the muggles.
(possibly as it is the spare tyre edition and fits me lol)

First spotted use of Muggles within cycling, presumably to refer to non-cyclists. I work in IT. We refer to non-IT staff as Muggles.

Top Bottom