Things I won't miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

Some of you may or may not know that I am immigrating to Aus. And I've slowly starting to realise some of the things I will and won't miss in this country:

London: The constant 'big issue sir?' 'can I stop you for 2 minutes?' and the idiots that try to force free papers in my hands or cards for cheap international calls and taxi services.

Increasing prices: House prices that are totally ridiculous and out of reach for first time buyers, I'm glad I bought and sold when I did and made a nice profit in the short time I was a home owner. Petrol prices are now getting beyond the realms of actually owning a car.

Weather: speaks for itself.

Drivers lack of vision towards us cyclists: I've actually heard Aus is worse but they have huge dedicated cycle paths so you don't have to use the road, like sustrans but bigger and better. I was nearly knocked off twice yesterday through drivers not looking where they are going.

'British' people: Some new brits are so arrogant and Britain is losing it's britishness. Such a shame for what was once a great country.

My family: I'm afraid to say it, but some of my family are total losers. None of them have done anything with their lives, I have an uncle who is 43, still lives at home with his mum. Great bloke but a total loser.

things I will miss:

London: I know I said I won't but I do love Londons diversity and huge nightlife and everything thrown in, its a city that needs nothing but wants everything.

Food: I'll miss proper baked beans, Proper English tea, and Mums roast Dinner's.

The English countryside: It's the only coutry I've ridden in so far but the veiws travelling through The south East are remarkable.

My mates: I've fallen out with most of them and I've only got a small handful of good mates left, but the ones I've got are great. Some being the funniest people I've had the fortune to know and grow up with.

What sort of things would you miss if you was to leave it all behind?

some of us have left, what do you miss?

Arch

Married to Night Train
walker said:
My family: I'm afraid to say it, but some of my family are total losers. None of them have done anything with their lives, I have an uncle who is 43, still lives at home with his mum. Great bloke but a total loser.

bit picky, but... Isn't being a great bloke, a good thing? So why a total loser? If he was a horrible bloke and still lived at home, maybe, but so what where he lives? His choice.

Frankly, although I have no particular attachment to a lot of British stuff, you can keep Oz. From what little I see of it, it seems to be much like America. And most Ozzies seem to want to leave and come here! BTW, if you don't wear a helmet to cycle now, you know you'll have to?

What would I miss though? Well, anywhere else in the world, a decent cup of tea, as far as I can tell, no one else makes it properly. oh, and my family of course, I don't have many but I do at least like them.

But I'd be moderately happy to up sticks to somewhere nice - France, or the Netherlands, or Scandinavia to name a few.

I would miss my family and friends.
I won't miss the fact that this country is in a state of psychological meltdown - high cost of living, lots of debt, traffic congestion, lack of job security, pressure for more and more consumption etc - cause masses of psychological stress in my view which is not healthy. I don't think Britain is the place to live if you want a healthy head.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's the old grass is greener syndrome.

I'm sure after a while in Australia you will find just as much to whine about. About all, recent Brit immigrants have a reputation for being 'whinging Poms'.

In fact the locals favourite joke is (and this one is funny because they believe the subject of the joke is worth humiliating!)

"- How can you tell when the plane from London has just landed in Sydney?
- Because when they switch the engines off, the whining still continues."

And going to Australia is no way to escape the issue of mass immigration. They have much higher levels of immigration than we do here, and as they are predominantly from SE Asia, don't share any of the values or traditions of the old Australians.

Enjoy!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd miss the green countryside - love it..... wouldn't miss the economical pressures folk face. I'd miss family - we're a fairly close bunch, although I'm much more independant than my brother and sisters - they are allways popping home for tea and stuff.... but I do have kids they don't - so have my own life to lead.

I work and live outside the big city's so I'm happy with that - I don't actually like working in the city centres.

I wouldn't miss this country's working ethos - i.e. lots of hours - a balanced life is what I say - makes everyone happy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I assume you are all sorted with a job.... how many of you are going out there - i.e. family....

Do watch out for the big bugs, and check the toilet seat and shoes every time - that would probably do me in about the place...

ChrisKH

Guru
I love visiting Australia. Things you may not welcome though :-

The lack of diversity in Australia. Sure they had original migrants from Greece and Italy, however there are no black people there. Apart from the Aborigines.

Racism. Pure and simple, they are in a time warp. Picture Britain in the 50's and it might come close.

Lack of choice. Apart form Sydney and the bigger cities, Australia does not have the same choice or wide range of clothing, bikes, cars, consumer goods etc. that you have in Europe or the UK.

Hustle and Bustle. Even Sydney can appear quite staid and quiet at times.

You will always be a 'pommie bastard' (see racism).

The Japanese tourists. This is what Australia lives for; they can't exist without the tourist Yen.

Tea. It never tastes quite the same does it?

Real Rugby Union. Over there they pay Rugby League. Even when it's meant to be Union.

(some is tongue in cheek, some less so.)

Good luck with it Walker. It's actually not a bad decision to make IMO regardless of the above.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I would miss the weather. I wouldn't like it to be much of one kind. I know its not everyones cup of tea, which i would also miss. Also i would miss the diverse countryside this country has to offer within a few miles travelling.

Will you be keeping in touch with this forum Walker?

simonali

Guru
On my holiday in Oz we did a fair bit of self catering and I was disappointed every time we did it. The quality of the food sold in the supermarkets over there is not as high as here, so make sure you live near the Oz equivalent of M&S!

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
beanzontoast said:
I wonder what those Aussies who come to live in the UK don't miss about their former home? Everywhere has its good and bad points.

AUSTRALIANS!!

simonali

Guru
Paulus said:
I would miss the weather. I wouldn't like it to be much of one kind.

Oh I dunno, this is the last pic I took of Australia! That's the plane we were about to get on on the left.

img05582im8.jpg

OP
OP
walker

walker

stephenb said:
where are you settling mate?

Perth, Going over with the Mrs, I'm going over to retrain in Health and fitness with a 5 year plan to work with athletes, mainly running track sprinters and possibly cyclists. Her family are out there for the last year, and havn't come accross a spider or a snake yet.

ChrisKH

Guru
simonali said:
On my holiday in Oz we did a fair bit of self catering and I was disappointed every time we did it. The quality of the food sold in the supermarkets over there is not as high as here, so make sure you live near the Oz equivalent of M&S!

Yes, I would agree with that. And from what I remember the cost was high despite the good rate of £ against the Aus$.

Top Bottom