Things I won't miss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
walker

walker

simonali said:
On my holiday in Oz we did a fair bit of self catering and I was disappointed every time we did it. The quality of the food sold in the supermarkets over there is not as high as here, so make sure you live near the Oz equivalent of M&S!

Family buy most of there stuff from the farms out there so its fresh and a little cheaper

ChrisKH

Guru
walker said:
Perth, Going over with the Mrs, I'm going over to retrain in Health and fitness with a 5 year plan to work with athletes, mainly running track sprinters and possibly cyclists. Her family are out there for the last year, and havn't come accross a spider or a snake yet.

I loved Perth. However, it is very much out on its own there, though. The town centre is smaller and less well stocked than a mid-sized town here (e.g. Basildon). I daresay the cycling would be very nice. I'm told it has a very high South African population in that neck of the woods.

yenrod

I was once gonna move to Italy - didnt look back really re: what id miss - but still; capitalism and culture are whole different things...?

OP
OP
walker

walker

Keith Oates said:
I don't know if this makes sense to you but for me (and I've been away from the UK for quite some time) I don't miss the UK until I come home on holiday!!!!!!!

that does worry me a bit. I have felt exactly as you have said here. When/if I come home will I want to return. But I've lived in and around South East London all my life and it is a real dive.

ChrisKH

Guru
walker said:
that does worry me a bit. I have felt exactly as you have said here. When/if I come home will I want to return. But I've lived in and around South East London all my life and it is a real dive.

Well, there's only one way to find out. Jump in with both feet. What's the worse that can happen? You come back to the UK again? Wouldn't be the end of the world would it. Carpe Diem mate. :biggrin:

BTW you can set up the Perth Chapter of CycleChat.;) We want a picture of you in a CC jersey and a Joey.:biggrin:

simonali

Guru
walker said:
Family buy most of there stuff from the farms out there so its fresh and a little cheaper

Fruit, veg and meat was OK, it was everything else. Anything packaged just wasn't as nice e.g bread, sweets, crisps, tea, coffee, cooking sauces etc. We bought a jar of green Thai curry sauce and the resulting meal went in the bin it was so horrible! We ate out every night after that.

Nice place to stay, but I dunno if I could live there!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
walker said:
But I've lived in and around South East London all my life and it is a real dive.

The real problem with SE London is that it is now in so many different
stages of redevelopment, all the time.
So in one place you might have a shiny new expensive Acadamy School being built next to an enhabited housing estate that is being left to crumble so it can be condemned and the land sold off.

I'm planning to be out of my area in time to get away from the 2012 Olympics!!

stephenb

Guru
walker said:
Perth, Going over with the Mrs, I'm going over to retrain in Health and fitness with a 5 year plan to work with athletes, mainly running track sprinters and possibly cyclists. Her family are out there for the last year, and havn't come accross a spider or a snake yet.

Nice one - I'm a Melbourne boy, only went to Perth a couple of years back en route out for a funeral. It's sure a "different" place - people running/cycling/whatever at 4.30 in the morning!

Good luck, keep an open mind. Just 2 hazards to note - Drop Bears in Cottesloe Forest and you'll have to wear a lid when you're on the bike or risk a fine.

(Chris KH - don't disagree with most of your impressions of OZ, particularly the racism bit. But "pommie bastard" isn't necssarily racist or even abusive - all depends on context).

OP
OP
walker

walker

stephenb said:
Nice one - I'm a Melbourne boy, only went to Perth a couple of years back en route out for a funeral. It's sure a "different" place - people running/cycling/whatever at 4.30 in the morning!

I have noticed all club runs start at 5.00am

simonali

Guru
If you've only lived in London, why not try somewhere else in the UK?

I moved to Wiltshire from just outside London (few miles from Uxbridge) and it's a much nicer place to be. Sure you still have the prices, taxes etc, but it's green, there's much less traffic, house prices are good, wages aren't any less, good train links (I can be in Paddington in about 90 minutes) etc.

You'll also be away from your family, which is the biggest bonus for me! ;)

This road is on one of fave rides through the Wylye valley. The road goes for maybe 15-18 miles through some lovely villages and if you see 10 (moving) cars on a round trip, you've been out on a busy day!

roadnx5.jpg

GrahamG

Guru
I'm with Simonali - anyone who has been stuck in one place (especially London!) for their whole lives could do worse than re-locating within the UK before going as far as Australia!
I've done most of my life in Birmingham with a year in York and I'm now in Bristol - all totally different places.

Top Bottom