Things my grandad told me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

I didn't really know my Grandads :sad: as he lived in Gibraltar and my Grandad on my fathers side died in the Titanic

Really? And your father survived or was your grandfather on his own ?

Shaun

Founder
My Grandad told us how he used to be in the trenches in the war rolling a cigarette in one hand, whilst shooting Jerries with the other!!

I'm not sure whether it was a tall tale or not, but can't imagine he was all that accurate shooting one-handed whilst keeping his eye on his tobacco ... ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Mine called tap water 'corporation pop', which was funny I guess. But he wasn't a funny person, he was a sexist tyrant and a wife beater. He was also one of the worst drivers I have ever witnessed.

My granddad was also a very angry, bitter bully who used to tell me that he liked watching boxing because he enjoyed watching black people beating each other up and he hated the Irish, even though his mother was Irish. He was a good cook though, and at least I learned that from him. Mostly, however, I learned that adults didn't necessarily know as much as they though they did, that hate was wrong, and that I never wanted to end up like him.

Chilternrides

I only knew one of my Granparents, but my Dad (a qualified Grandad) manged to convince not only his Grandchildren, but my mother that male wasps were coloured yellow/black/yellow/black/yellow, while female wasps were coloured black/yellow/black/yellow/black.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
My other granddad was by all accounts a very nice man, but he died before I ever had a chance to meet him from a heart condition that resulted his very poor Gorbals-upbringing. We found out much later, after my grandmother died, that he brought up my uncle as his own even though he knew he was the product of a her affair with another man.

I was told "Never try to whistle with a mouth full of custard."

I really have to try that now :laugh:

@FM that's the same case for me. I didn't meet my other grandad either as he died before I was born. He was a spiritual healer and also a fantastic plantsman/gardener. He used to grow giant chrysanthemums and win chrysanthemum growing competitions! My love of gardening and growing vegetables comes from him.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mine told me to cycle 15 miles every day, so that by the end of the week I'd be 105 miles away.
[He never tired of it]

+ to never work down a mine.

Top Bottom