Things my grandad told me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My granddad told me when i was little that these...

13_09_56---Cooling-Towers--2000MW-coal-fired-Cottam-Power-Station--Nottinghamshire_web.jpg

were 'potato boilers'.

So I spent much of my childhood thinking they were full of spuds boiling away, imagining a convoy of trucks being loaded with said spuds which would be distributed to cafes, restaurants and refectories up and down the country, serving our insatiable appetite for boiled and mashed potatoes. To me it seemed perfectly plausible.

Mr Phoebus

I'll bet he never shared his Werther's with you either.

Mr Phoebus

My grandad had a pair of half rim reading glasses and was forever telling me that they were half price.

He must have thought the more he said it the funnier it became. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 1487862"]
My nan, who was a staff driver during the war for the MOD, told me that the statues on front of vehicles (like on Daimlers, Rolls, Bentleys etc) were actually gun sights, and during the war the indicators were removed and replaced with machine guns.

She was great fun my nan :biggrin:
[/quote]

Like it :biggrin:

My granddad occasionally used to pretend he couldn't work steps... so we'd be walking through a park and approach a set of steps, granddad would pause, adopt a puzzled expression and scratch his head before climbing them on all fours. Daft as a brush.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Grandfather XmisterIS I - died 1942.
Grandfather XmisterIS II - died 1980 (XmisterIS was about 2 feet tall at the time and doesn't remember).
Grandmother XmisterIS I - died 1947.
Grandmother XmisterIS II - died 1979.

If any of them said anything to me nowadays I would be phoning the local exorcist!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My granddad told me when i was little that these...

13_09_56---Cooling-Towers--2000MW-coal-fired-Cottam-Power-Station--Nottinghamshire_web.jpg

were 'potato boilers'.

So I spent much of my childhood thinking they were full of spuds boiling away, imagining a convoy of trucks being loaded with said spuds which would be distributed to cafes, restaurants and refectories up and down the country, serving our insatiable appetite for boiled and mashed potatoes. To me it seemed perfectly plausible.

Mine told me that these were dresses for giants wives!

pepecat

I don't remember my grandad telling me weird stuff, but i had an uncle that tried to convince me that fish fingers grew on trees, and that he was bald cos birds had pulled his hair out to put in their nests.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
My grandfather used to inform my cousins and I that we could put our elbows on the dinner table when, and only when, we could pick our noses with our elbows.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My granddad used to tell me that life was like a shoot sandwich. The more bread you had, the less shoot you had to eat. And he was spot on.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
When I was a teeny-weeny TimeLord (about 4) we lived near a power station.
I was convinced that the cooling towers were there to make clouds.

At the beach once (I was still quite young) I was saddened that there wasn't any sand, just shingle.
My granddad told me it was 'Big sand' which I suppose it is.
Makes a crap sandcastle though.

Top Bottom