Things that don't belong in a Garden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Does anyone else really dislike some things / plants / trees being in a garden?

My example is Palm Trees in British gardens. I just don't like it. I don't understand why anyone would want one. They aren't a normal part of British flora. If you want a Palm tree, go on holiday. That's where they belong. It really irritates the tiny little Englander part of my psyche that I try to keep silent and well behaved.

I realise that my irritation is irrational, unjustified and pointless. I just wondered if anyone else has irrational, unjustified and pointless dislikes of odd garden choices!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Screaming children

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Gnomes
Monkey puzzle trees
Hot tubs
Pampas grass
Those twee windmill/ dog/ zombie concrete cast things
Twee signs eg "the dog's OK beware of the kids"
Leylandii
I'm with you on the Monkey puzzle tree. I don't mind *seeing* a leylandii or similar tree but I don't like them (and I include my own hedges in that) because they are so hard to maintain and can't be cut back).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Does anyone else really dislike some things / plants / trees being in a garden?

My example is Palm Trees in British gardens. I just don't like it. I don't understand why anyone would want one. They aren't a normal part of British flora. If you want a Palm tree, go on holiday. That's where they belong. It really irritates the tiny little Englander part of my psyche that I try to keep silent and well behaved.

I realise that my irritation is irrational, unjustified and pointless. I just wondered if anyone else has irrational, unjustified and pointless dislikes of odd garden choices!

Those 'palm trees', commonly known as Torbay Palms, are actually New Zealand Cabbage trees (Cordyline). I believe they were a Victorian import along with Monkey-Puzzle trees. E cut one down in the small front garden of her London house, then tried to poison it as it continued to sprout shoots. It would not die. She sold the house.

Top Bottom