Things that don't belong in a Garden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
+1 for the UK palm tree... although I suppose on the Cornish Riviera, they're OK.
+1 for the monkey puzzle tree... ugly things
+1 for trampolines... has anyone mentioned trampolines yet?
+1 for plastic grass. My mother's NDN has a wonderful example...
BFG.jpg

The wife does keep it very well planted with a resplendent display which does draw the eye away from the plastic grass that looks like it was half-inched from a greengrocers' window display. The blue painted tiles I just can't get my head around. Their back garden features even more blue stuff, such as a wooden bridge that crosses absolutely nothing :wacko:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
+1 for plastic grass. My mother's NDN has a wonderful example...
My neighbours have plastic grass. They let their dogs crap on it and leave the stuff there for days on end. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. If they move out (please God!) my first act of kindness to the new neighbours will be to advise them to bin the stuff or give it a very deep clean!

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Does anyone else really dislike some things / plants / trees being in a garden?

My example is Palm Trees in British gardens. I just don't like it. I don't understand why anyone would want one. They aren't a normal part of British flora. If you want a Palm tree, go on holiday. That's where they belong. It really irritates the tiny little Englander part of my psyche that I try to keep silent and well behaved.

I realise that my irritation is irrational, unjustified and pointless. I just wondered if anyone else has irrational, unjustified and pointless dislikes of odd garden choices!

Don't tell @Accy cyclist!

iandg

Legendary Member
My son's rusting BMW. He got a degree work placement on Knoydart in 2018 and left it with me for 2 months. Been working there ever since and not needed it and not been back to sell it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I actually have no objection to monkey puzzle trees as they were a feature of my childhood around old estate gardens and the same goes for bamboo.
Rhododendrons are another matter and I applaud efforts to get rid of them as they are very invasive.
Quite a lot of vegetables grown here now were actually imported originally by the Romans but I still eat them.

PK99

Legendary Member
I actually have no objection to monkey puzzle trees as they were a feature of my childhood around old estate gardens and the same goes for bamboo.
Rhododendrons are another matter and I applaud efforts to get rid of them as they are very invasive.
Quite a lot of vegetables grown here now were actually imported originally by the Romans but I still eat them.

The species R.ponticum is invasive. Garden varieties are not.

Gwylan

Veteran
Fridges, settees, cars with grass up to the doors, facile signs, children - unless set in concrete, gnomes, works of debatable art, led lights that don't work, led lights that work, anything fairy, garden gnomes fermenting dog doo,

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My example is Palm Trees in British gardens. I just don't like it. I don't understand why anyone would want one. They aren't a normal part of British flora. If you want a Palm tree, go on holiday. That's where they belong. It really irritates the tiny little Englander part of my psyche that I try to keep silent and well behaved
Ok, they aren't native to these shores, but so what, they look good! If I had my way, councils would be encouraged to plant palm trees in parks, on grass verges, in cemeteries etc etc to make us feel a little happier. I asked the vicar of the church up the road last year if he'd let me plant my 2 palm trees in the church grounds. He thanked me for offering my trees, but declined saying they wouldn't look right. That's only because folk aren't used to seeing such things. After a while they'd get used to it. Just like we would if they were planted in parks, cemeteries etc.:okay:

Top Bottom