Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Why do people have cats without fur?
Some people actively covet guinea pigs with no fur as well. Strange things!
IMG-20220115-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20220115-WA0001.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
The duty payable on a 75cl bottle of 40% spirit is £8.52, so why is e.g. alcohol-free gin as expensive (if not more!) as the alcoholic version?

It costs more than £8.52 to get the alcohol out??
Rubbish - I can get the alcohol out of a bottle of whiskey easily - and I don't even charge for it!

to be serious - I think they charge for it because they can

what I want to know is why - once they have got all the alcohol out of wine or beer (and probably whiskey but I haven;t bought that) do I still need someone to come over and authorise me to buy it at the self service in Tesco
The label specifically says ZERO ALCOHOL - but it requires authorisation to purchase due to it being alcoholic:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
One thing that has bothered me for a long time, is the harshness of 'Natural Justice'.

Even in the hot, tropical southern States of the USA, many of the bridges have a warning sign saying "Bridge Freezes Before Road".
For years I could never resist shouting a warning to the rest of the cycling group as we sweated our way past these signs in 100 degree heat and humidity. There was no malice intended, and I understand the underlying physics, but I simply found the signs in a Florida context amusing.

Fast forward many years and I'm back in the UK. On a winter ride through the Dales I'd spent the day constantly on guard for black ice but a mile or so from home and back at sea level, I finally started to relax. Cup of tea, warm shower . . . shoot . . . I'm on the ground and it hurts! Silverdale railway bridge is not 'skewed', but has a right turn on and a left turn off. Not that I did the left turn as I'd hit the deck and bounced into the limestone parapet. As I staggered to my feet it was obvious the bridge was sheet ice from one side to the other.

To this day I still think 5 hours in casualty, my winter riding clothes in tatters and the bike scratched and group set ruined was too harsh a comeuppance for my very mild mocking of those American signs.

1642354833682.png

They look like miniature hippopotami.
Ahem!!!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As dinosaurs were probably warm blooded [generally accepted] why are they still referred to as reptiles? They might share some characteristics to reptiles but cant they have a classification of their own.

It's ok to still call them reptiles if, and only if, you classify birds as reptiles. And if you don't, consider birds reptiles, then it becomes a bit of a nonsense category anyway

Last edited:
Top Bottom