Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why doesn't the BBC or ITV news mention that the Azov Battalion is a neo-Nazi orgnaisation?
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/1/who-are-the-azov-regiment

Another one comes to mind; sports clubs.

Football* has already been covered here, but sports clubs in general seem an odd concept, especially how they operate here.

As far as I can see people drive home from work and then out to the sports club, or judging by their clothes, drive straight from work to the sports club, and get changed.

Then they then carefully put lots of cones in a muddy field, and then spend two hours making their fresh clothes muddy and dirty while running around the cones, with much passionate shouting as if what they're doing actually makes a difference, then drive home again.

*Originally typed "foodball" which I think would be considerably more entertaining.

Last edited:
Why does my laptop sound like a V1 rocket motor?

Oh my, that's not a good nouse for anything to make.
<pedantry>a V1 motor isn't a rocket, it's a pulse jet</pedantry>

Either way, it's when it stops and is dead quiet you need to worry.

Why does my laptop sound like a V1 rocket motor?
A noisy laptop is normally caused by the fans trying to cool it down

which is normally caused by dust and general fluff blocking up the air intake and outflow (???) so that the fans can;t have the effect they need

soon to be followed by
hopefully a WIndows shutdown due to over heating
or - worse - permanent damage if the heat detection is not working

solution
a) get a free cpu temperature checking tool and look at it in wonder
b) dismantle the laptop and remove all the fluff

(b) can be complex - as a professional I once took 32 screws out of a laptop and still couldn;t get to the fan - suceeeded on second go
it often need carefully removing a load of screws including some that are (deliberately) hidden followed by using a plastic tool ( or VERY carewfully using a screwdriver - don't do this!) to unclip one plastic part from another - possibly including the keyboard
and unhooking some other bits that are VERY fragile

a nice challenge if you like that sort of thing - but I suggest you look for dismantling videos on YouTube and make sure you have some time undesturbed
and some containers to keep the screws safe

and if it all goes well and you get the fluff out and put it back together and then find you have several (i.e. up to a dozen) screws left over in spite of being sure you replaced them all

don;t worry - I was a professional - done loads - and talk to a lot of other people who do this a lot

we all have screws left over

bit like a hoover

Wot 'e said. CoreTemp is the free tool you need. A quick way to check for fluff is to identify the intake and exhaust ports. If you can, blow hard into the exhaust port. This will hopefully result in a frantically spinning fan and a gout of crap from the intake port. That might be enough, for now. But if it's a really major pile of fluff...YouTube videos. A good plastic separator is a fairly heavy guitar pick. Even the pro gadget repair tool kits include them.

classic33

Leg End Member
Top Bottom