Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A noisy laptop is normally caused by the fans trying to cool it down

which is normally caused by dust and general fluff blocking up the air intake and outflow (???) so that the fans can;t have the effect they need

soon to be followed by
hopefully a WIndows shutdown due to over heating
or - worse - permanent damage if the heat detection is not working

solution
a) get a free cpu temperature checking tool and look at it in wonder
b) dismantle the laptop and remove all the fluff

(b) can be complex - as a professional I once took 32 screws out of a laptop and still couldn;t get to the fan - suceeeded on second go
it often need carefully removing a load of screws including some that are (deliberately) hidden followed by using a plastic tool ( or VERY carewfully using a screwdriver - don't do this!) to unclip one plastic part from another - possibly including the keyboard
and unhooking some other bits that are VERY fragile

a nice challenge if you like that sort of thing - but I suggest you look for dismantling videos on YouTube and make sure you have some time undesturbed
and some containers to keep the screws safe

and if it all goes well and you get the fluff out and put it back together and then find you have several (i.e. up to a dozen) screws left over in spite of being sure you replaced them all

don;t worry - I was a professional - done loads - and talk to a lot of other people who do this a lot

we all have screws left over

bit like a hoover

I've just realized it's the hard drive trying to supplement 2GB of RAM. My 32-bit laptop running Lubuntu is still faster than my 64-bit laptop running Windows though.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Ppl who say plans change and you should live with then when it is you who changes the plan, they don't like it.

Well, I suppose that comes under "hypocrites".

In actuality, not much bothers me anymore.

byegad

Legendary Member
Rugby: just everything. The concept, rules, names for players, shape of the ball...

But primarily being forced to 'play' it weekly for five cold, wet, muddy English winters.

Ah! PE and Games, designed to put you off sport for life!

I had to chase around at the back of every kind of running race so that Roger Hanson could beat us all. Throw and jump, so he could beat me, and everybody else in the class. If he'd lost a leg he'd have still beaten me over any distance. Cricket I'd be out first ball and sent to the boundary to field. Roger would get dozens of runs, a bag full of wickets and thoroughly enjoy the game!
Then we went swimming and I won! Once! 'Good old Rog' lead the calls for no mare races at the baths. He won that too, because he was the PE teachers pet!

That's 60 yrs ago and I'm not bitter, well OK I still am.

Ah! PE and Games, designed to put you off sport for life!

I had to chase around at the back of every kind of running race so that Roger Hanson could beat us all. Throw and jump, so he could beat me, and everybody else in the class. If he'd lost a leg he'd have still beaten me over any distance. Cricket I'd be out first ball and sent to the boundary to field. Roger would get dozens of runs, a bag full of wickets and thoroughly enjoy the game!
Then we went swimming and I won! Once! 'Good old Rog' lead the calls for no mare races at the baths. He won that too, because he was the PE teachers pet!

That's 60 yrs ago and I'm not bitter, well OK I still am.

Schools do seem to have made PE a sort of anti-sport vaccine.

Cricket was much better: you could get caught out and them make sure you were on the opposite side to where the batsman would hit so you wouldn't be bothered for twenty minutes. Sometimes they'd change teams and never notice me.

Of course, not being pummelled into the mud was also a plus...

I remember the 'also ran' cricket at school
I tended to bowl a few over just to see what happened and batting, for me, was a game of see if you can hit the thing HARD

I remember a bloke called Toby who was fielding on the boundary

when we started batting I noticed he was still fielding on the boundary

just stayed there for both innings

$deity - I thought I liked my own company and day dreaming!!!!!!!!
apparently he became an IT expert

could have guessed if only IT was a thing back then

I got a Saturday morning detention for giving perfectly honest answers to a (very badly worded) netball rules quiz one games period at school when the weather was too dreadful even for Miss Horrible to force us outside. I STILL, over sixty years later, resent it and feel bitter about it as the detention resulted in my missing a selection competition for training for a team sport that I was truly interested in, and pretty good at. And I loathe and detest netball still. I'd pop every single one of their stupid balls worldwide given half a chance.

I got a Saturday morning detention for giving perfectly honest answers to a (very badly worded) netball rules quiz one games period at school when the weather was too dreadful even for Miss Horrible to force us outside. I STILL, over sixty years later, resent it and feel bitter about it as the detention resulted in my missing a selection competition for training for a team sport that I was truly interested in, and pretty good at. And I loathe and detest netball still. I'd pop every single one of their stupid balls worldwide given half a chance.

We used to have basketball, which was a d*mn stupid game for someone my size; I never scored because you may as well tell me to lob a ball onto the moon. At the end of the lesson we were all told to get a ball, and when we'd scored we could get changed. Cue 30-odd boys all chucking basketballs at the same hoop. I would lob a ball skyward, grab the nearest descending one and lob that, repeat and scarper.

@KnittyNorah What were the questions and answers?

Irony of ironies, my youngest son had several excellent games teachers and is pretty athletic. Guess what his chosen career path is...

Last edited:
@KnittyNorah What were the questions and answers?
It was the clumsy wording that opened up the ability to make nonsensical answers. Remember I HATED most ball games anyway - very small, shortsighted with strong glasses and BRIGHT GINGER hair. Oh yes I was always picked first for teams ... NOT.

Anyway it was about the rules and principles of netball and began with something like 'if you were going to umpire a game of netball, what would be the essentials you would take with you?'
All the while referring to 'you'. So I started out with a couple of sensible things, like a first aid kit and a rule book, then it went downhill from there and I said things like a transistor radio to listen to, an umbrella, a flask of coffee, sandwiches, a chair ...
Then came the question If you were going to be an umpire how would you dress? And I wrote that if I were going to be an umpire I would check on the weather forecast and dress appropriately eg warm coat, raincoat etc.

And so on in the same vein. Questions about specific rules I answered as 'can be checked in the rule book'.

Now I know that the questions should have been understood as What essentials should an umpire at a netball match have with them? and How should an umpire dress?
BUT
I was fourteen or so, and already hated netball and the games teacher with a passion. So I made sure to answer the questions exactly as written.
This was the same netball teacher who also taught needlework; we'd already run into each other there, my mother being a very skilled dressmaker and me having learnt literally on her knee. I was awarded 8% in a needlework test by this dumb twerp (I gave up needlework at the end of 2nd year) and at a school party about a year later I was wearing a dress I'd made myself and this dumb twerp admired it until one of my friends told her that I'd made it myself and that 8% in a needlework test must be a good thing ...

It was the clumsy wording that opened up the ability to make nonsensical answers. Remember I HATED most ball games anyway - very small, shortsighted with strong glasses and BRIGHT GINGER hair. Oh yes I was always picked first for teams ... NOT.

Anyway it was about the rules and principles of netball and began with something like 'if you were going to umpire a game of netball, what would be the essentials you would take with you?'
All the while referring to 'you'. So I started out with a couple of sensible things, like a first aid kit and a rule book, then it went downhill from there and I said things like a transistor radio to listen to, an umbrella, a flask of coffee, sandwiches, a chair ...
Then came the question If you were going to be an umpire how would you dress? And I wrote that if I were going to be an umpire I would check on the weather forecast and dress appropriately eg warm coat, raincoat etc.

And so on in the same vein. Questions about specific rules I answered as 'can be checked in the rule book'.

Now I know that the questions should have been understood as What essentials should an umpire at a netball match have with them? and How should an umpire dress?
BUT
I was fourteen or so, and already hated netball and the games teacher with a passion. So I made sure to answer the questions exactly as written.
This was the same netball teacher who also taught needlework; we'd already run into each other there, my mother being a very skilled dressmaker and me having learnt literally on her knee. I was awarded 8% in a needlework test by this dumb twerp (I gave up needlework at the end of 2nd year) and at a school party about a year later I was wearing a dress I'd made myself and this dumb twerp admired it until one of my friends told her that I'd made it myself and that 8% in a needlework test must be a good thing ...

I understand.

I never got written tests in sports, probably because that would require my sports teachers being able to write.

Bonus

Veteran
I always loved school sports and PE. Didn't matter if it was indoors or outdoors I just enjoyed physical exercise, especially in the summertime.

Happy days :-)

Top Bottom