Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why can't German railways make the bogs on their trains work? Japan manages it, and the UK manages it.

They have just had lots of shiny new trains delivered which apparently come supplied with an "out of order" notice already attached to the privvy door.

Why can't German railways make the bogs on their trains work? Japan manages it, and the UK manages it.

They have just had lots of shiny new trains delivered which apparently come supplied with an "out of order" notice already attached to the privvy door.
Try the toilets on the train out of Colombo, Sri Lanka. You wouldn’t complain about German ones after that

classic33

Leg End Member

They've fitted "Out of order" notices on Northern trains.
Saves on cleaning I suppose.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Delivery drivers using satnavs. Yet another 'delivery attempted, address not found' . This time Parcelforce - their drivers are not allowed to use mobile phones to communicate with customers, and obviously haven't got a clue where they are. I think it is incredibly sad that they are driving around without any local knowledge. directed only by the computerised voice in the cab. God help them if the sat nav failed. Would they ever find their way back to the depot?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When you listen to this song/record you hear the sound of bullets ricocheting,not lead shot. Yet the song is called shotgun wedding. Yes i know a shotgun wedding is/was where people were forced to marry at gunpoint and not necessarily with a shotgun pointing at them but it still kind of bugs me to hear a rifle or a pistol being fired and not a shotgun.

'Why do they call it a shotgun wedding?

The phrase is a primarily American colloquialism, termed as such based on a stereotypical scenario where the father of the pregnant bride-to-be threatens the reluctant groom with a shotgun to ensure that he follows through with the wedding'.

It's bugged me for probably 50 years since i first heard it.
When you listen to this song/record you hear the sound of bullets ricocheting,not lead shot. Yet the song is called shotgun wedding. Yes i know a shotgun wedding is/was where people were forced to marry at gunpoint and not necessarily with a shotgun pointing at them but it still kind of bugs me to hear a rifle or a pistol being fired and not a shotgun.

'Why do they call it a shotgun wedding?
The phrase is a primarily American colloquialism, termed as such based on a stereotypical scenario where the father of the pregnant bride-to-be threatens the reluctant groom with a shotgun to ensure that he follows through with the wedding'.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Delivery drivers using satnavs. Yet another 'delivery attempted, address not found' . This time Parcelforce - their drivers are not allowed to use mobile phones to communicate with customers, and obviously haven't got a clue where they are. I think it is incredibly sad that they are driving around without any local knowledge. directed only by the computerised voice in the cab. God help them if the sat nav failed. Would they ever find their way back to the depot?
Local ambulance service banned the use of A to Z's years ago. They've now to follow the satnavs.

youngoldbloke

- and on that point - why is it that the more TV channels there are, there is less worth watching?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
When you listen to this song/record you hear the sound of bullets ricocheting,not lead shot. Yet the song is called shotgun wedding.

Good one! There are a whole load of incorrect gun tropes in media, our mind has expectations on what firearms sound like that were set by Hollywood back in the days of the Spaghetti Western and it's too late (for the layman) to change them.
So our hero is narrowly missed by a shot, and to know this, the audience needs to hear "PEE-OW!" as the bullet ricochets off a rock. In reality you hear no such thing, you hear a rather worrying and unexpected CRACK (like a wooden beam snapping) as the bullet creates a supersonic shockwave when it passes you. But viewers would think "what the hell is that?" so Hollywood perseveres with "PEE-OW!"
Same with your shotgun, if the audience heard the blunt boom / thud of an actual shotgun they'd wonder what it was. Insert a "PEE-OW!" and they know where they stand, that's a gun! See also the clattering "Chakity-ker-chak" sound when someone is handed or picks up a rifle in a movie, it tells you that this is a rifle. The reality... (of silence, so long as the weapon is servicable) would just confuse the minds of the audience. They need to hear Chakity-ker-chak to know a rifle is being handled.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Tides. One thing that bothered me for a long time is why the sea the other side of the earth from the moon bulges out. I understand why the sea facing the moon bulges out - gravity. I recently learnt it's due to the centrifugal force. The earth and the moon spin around a common point, so the sea on the side of the earth not facing the moon is flung out.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why don't we see female window cleaners? 🤔 When i had my window cleaning round i took my (at the time) teenage daughter out with me on school/college holidays to 'earn an honest bob':rolleyes:. She was ok at it,but when i asked if she'd like to do it for a living she laughed and said "No way"!

Last edited:
Why don't we see female window cleaners? 🤔 When i had my window cleaning round i took my (at the time) teenage daughter out with me on school/college holidays to 'earn an honest bob':rolleyes:. She was ok at it,but when i asked if she'd like to do it for a living she laughed and said "No way"!
obviously not been doing your homework accy.
It's the patriarchy innit?

youngoldbloke

:stop:- but we do, Wendy cleans most of the windows in the village we lived in until recently. Very efficient and an ace ladder technician.

Top Bottom