Things that have crept into modern football

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
Being allowed to 'shepherd' the ball out of play behind the goal line, when it's just blatant obstruction and would be penalised anywhere else on the pitch.
Not true. You are allowed to use your body to shield the ball when you are in possesion of it.

What I would like to see is a ban on substitutions during the last ten minutes of the game. They are nothing more than a cynical ploy to break the rythym of the match by the leading side.

Smokin Joe said:
Not true. You are allowed to use your body to shield the ball when you are in possesion of it.

yeah, but they really take the piss at the goal line, blocking the opponent whilst nowhere near the ball themselves.

Media training for footballers and managers which amounts to handing them a book of football cliches.. Makes me Sick as a parrot for one.
Other things. Sky sports and Andy Gray .. Andy he's controlled the ball in a manner any 12 yr old could .. you don't have to praise every minute touch (doing my nut in as 5 yr old is into fifa 10 on the Wii ..arghh)
Offside rule..As Jack Charlton said, if you're not interfering with play, then what are you doing on the pitch.
Pulling, dragging at corners. /free kicks.
FIFA and UEFA and no reaction to Thierry Henry incident.. I sincerely hope the world cup final is settled on a dubious decision.
Corporate sponsors and empty seats.
Players diving and surrounding the ref, looking to get others booked, but also just rabid dog like persecution of the referee.

dav1d

XmisterIS said:
I tell you what has crept into modern football ... is over-hyped, relentless, omnipresent advertising, ramming the damn stuff down our throats day in day out, several times a day, often before breakfast, bugger the world cup, you can't get away from it, even if you are one of life's unfortunates such as myself, who hates football!!!! :tongue:

Can't stand football myself. It's awful when you are in a pub and ANY match is screened, people screeming when a goal is scored, and getting depressed when their team loses - seriously, it's just a game!

Another annoying thing is when people say "We won, we beat xxx team or whatever" - no, you didn't, you didn't kick the football, you didn't play, therefore you did not win. the team you support did.

mangaman

Money basically - by the shedful.

Mainly started by Sky and the Premier League, but that attracted people like Jack Walker and eventually Abramovich.

Now we have Man City.

Most of the money ends up in wages / agents fees anyway, leaving no real assets for the club. If Abramovich left and withdrew all his money Chelsea would slip down to the level they've usually existed at - ie mid-table / the odd good season / the odd relegation.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
mangaman said:
Money basically - by the shedful.

Mainly started by Sky and the Premier League, but that attracted people like Jack Walker and eventually Abramovich.

Now we have Man City.

Most of the money ends up in wages / agents fees anyway, leaving no real assets for the club. If Abramovich left and withdrew all his money Chelsea would slip down to the level they've usually existed at - ie mid-table / the odd good season / the odd relegation.
Abramovich can demand payment in full with eighteen months notice if he (or whoever inherits his estate) so chooses.

Better look after him you blues!

Debian

trustysteed said:
not being allowed to 'challenge' the goalkeeper even though he's a player like the rest of the team.

+1

Players used to be able to shoulder charge the keeper. Now if any player comes within six feet of the keeper it's a foul. :wacko:

There should also be a rule that only the skipper is allowed to approach or talk to the referee, I believe that's the rule in Rugby? Why is it so difficult for FIFA / FA to understand that such a simple change would make a world of difference?

Debian

meenaghman said:
Offside rule..As Jack Charlton said, if you're not interfering with play, then what are you doing on the pitch.

+1

The old rule also avoided all doubt, if a player was in front of the line then he was offside - simples. Now you have the argument about whether a player was interfering with play. As meenaghman said, the only place a player isn't interfering with play is outside the touchlines.

Top Bottom