Things that make grown men well up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Thomas Babington Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome, Horatius:
Alone stood brave Horatius,​
But constant still in mind;​
Thrice thirty thousand foes before,​
And the broad flood behind.​
https://englishverse.com/poems/horatius

Aragorns coronation scene in 'The Lord Of The Rings' (Return Of The King), as Arwen & himself are walking through the crowd, they come across the 4 Hobbit who bow to Aragon, who tells them
"My friends, you bow to no-one "

Then he bows, & a crowd of hundreds all bow to the Hobbits:notworthy::cry:

A great moment, after the 9 hours of the films

EDIT @ 20:52

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBtzudk40pE

Last edited:
Aragorns coronation scene in 'The Lord Of The Rings' (Return Of The King), as Arwen & himself are walking through the crowd, they come across the 4 Hobbit who bow to Aragon, who tells them
My friends, you bow to no-one

Then he bows, & a crowd of hundreds all bow to the Hobbits

A great moment, after the 9 hours of the films
The bit where Gandalf sucumbs to the Balrog gets me, Boromir says 'Give the little ones a moment' shortly after.
Also the end of AI when his Mum is returned for 24 hours, gulp :cry:

DRM

Guru
The story of HMS Warspite (Pennant 03), my avatar picture. She endured WW1 and WW2 suffering shellfire, bombing, ramming, mines and a guided missile and right up until the end when she seeming utterly refused to go to Faslane to be scrapped, hugging the coast in a state off of Cornwall for years... It is but a ship, a ship for war, but if there was ever a machine with a soul, it is this one...
I recall being on a boat trip around Portsmouth Harbour in around 1980/81 I think, HMS Ark Royal was anchored up and was due to be scrapped, the excursion went round the ship to let us have a good look at it, and I recall a man, probably then in his 40’s stood looking at it with tears streaming down his face, and remember mentioning it to my parents who had also noticed him saying I bet he’d spent a fair bit of time on it, the ship was a sad sight to see with huge rust stains down the side of it.

stephec

Legendary Member
Has anyone mentioned the end of Watership Down yet, when the black rabbits come dancing down?

PaulB

Legendary Member
There's a couple of songs that make me choke up if I try to sing them* but one thing guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes is an episode, any episode or 'Call the Midwife'.

* Danny Boy and YNWA.

Top Bottom