Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
After watching a couple of episodes of Back in Time for the Weekend last night... i recalled how we'd always have a 5p, 10p or (later) a 20p piece just in case we needed to use the phone. These days we all carry a bulky mobile instead of a few coins. We struggle to find a decent signal and hope the battery has enough power. It's bonkers.

midlife

Guru
Having to get up and clean the stylus on your record player as it had grown a beard while you were playing a record.

Putting a coin on the stylus to stop it from jumping........

Shaun

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Play with Action Man figures, I had the one in the orange jump suit. I still have it.
]
action-man.jpg
Funny, that looks like GI Joe, exactly.
Except for the uniforms.
My Dad always used to say the beard was not regulation, until photos in the family album showed him with a long beard and shorts, among native forces in New Britain, during WWII.

MontyVeda

]
action-man.jpg
Funny, that looks like GI Joe, exactly.
Except for the uniforms.
GI Joe was called as Action Man in the UK... British kids don't know what a GI is, unless of course, they watched too many Elvis films.

Another thing i used to do... want a scar just like Action Man when I grew up. Instead i got a really bad complexion.

MontyVeda

standing in the corner shop and asking, "can I have a box of matches, they are for my mum",
LOL... the old for my mum used to work when buying cigarettes too.

Oldbloke

Guru
Back in the 60s on Southend railway station, there was what looked like a large phone box, which you go into and make a recording, vocal/small instrument, the unit then produced a disc record of your performance.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Have a conversation along the lines of...

"Have you heard about these things called computers and the internet? Well, you don't need to know about them cuz only the 5 richest kings will be able to afford them, and only the 5 cleverest people will know how to work them"

TVC

Hoping (in vain) that the rust around the front suspension mountings of your Austin/Morris 1100 was just superficial.
My dad always had a pot of Isopon P38, some wet and dry, and a can of spray paint around. A 10 year old car was basically a rust heap with the arches, door seams and cills gone, and potential for holes in the floor pan. Now 15 year old cars can look immaculate.

Top Bottom