Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Earning extra pocket money by mowing the lawn, if I remember right it was sixpence, if I cut the hedge as well it went up to tenpence. Going round the local shop for my Dad and being told to keep the change. Finding an empty pop bottle and handing it in at the local shop to get the deposit then getting the third degree of my Mum who had been told about the bottle and wanted to know where it came from.

D

Deleted member 1258

My dad always had a pot of Isopon P38, some wet and dry, and a can of spray paint around. A 10 year old car was basically a rust heap with the arches, door seams and cills gone, and potential for holes in the floor pan. Now 15 year old cars can look immaculate.

My thirteen year old Hyundai looks nice for an old car, just don't look to closely at the rear wheel arches.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I got a CSE Grade 1 and an O Level Grade B in TD.

I loved the interpenetrations.

3.jpg

TVC

I loved the interpenetrations.

3.jpg
Oh God yes. O Level TD grade A for me. I started my career as a Mechanical Design Engineer on the boards. Working on film is so much more satisfying than CAD, you got a real feel for what you were inventing.

Edit: just for the record, nobody has ever designed a cylinder to pass through a conic section off axis, it's mad, and the fabricators would slap you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Oh God yes. O Level TD grade A for me. I started my career as a Mechanical Design Engineer on the boards. Working on film is so much more satisfying than CAD, you got a real feel for what you were inventing.

Edit: just for the record, nobody has ever designed a cylinder to pass through a conic section off axis, it's mad, and the fabricators would slap you.
I think i had one term to try TD at school, i always ended up in woodwork and metal work and never had a go at art or pottery .

Reactions: TVC

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think i had one term to try TD at school, i always ended up in woodwork and metal work and never had a go at art or pottery .
I was forced to do TD as my only 'craft' subject by my father, never got any good marks as all my projects were covered in fingermarks (probably from 'fettling' my bike and messing about with field motorbikes all the time)
I'd have loved to do metalwork and woodwork at school as in my 'working' life I spent 4 years as an apprentice car mechanic (SAAB Main Dealer) then 8 yrs as a 'Green Sand' Foundry Moulder (mainly ornamental Brassware but a couple of years doing aluminium engineering castings) before going to college full time for 2yrs (Southfields in Leicester) and qualifying as a Cabinet Maker and going on to build bespoke cabinetry for shops.

midlife

Guru
I was forced to do TD as my only 'craft' subject by my father, never got any good marks as all my projects were covered in fingermarks (probably from 'fettling' my bike and messing about with field motorbikes all the time)
I'd have loved to do metalwork and woodwork at school as in my 'working' life I spent 4 years as an apprentice car mechanic (SAAB Main Dealer) then 8 yrs as a 'Green Sand' Foundry Moulder (mainly ornamental Brassware but a couple of years doing aluminium engineering castings) before going to college full time for 2yrs (Southfields in Leicester) and qualifying as a Cabinet Maker and going on to build bespoke cabinetry for shops.

Just out of curiosity which SAAB dealer was it?

Shaun

raleighnut

Legendary Member

midlife

Guru
Hi

I was just curious as I used to take my Subaru down Nottingham way to a place called TSL Subaru, they used to be a SAAB Dealer = Trent SAAB Limited.

Shaun

Top Bottom