Things you did when you where younger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
And to think, on another thread people are worrying about germs from kids in shopping trolleys...

I know. Germs weren't germs in the good old days!

colly

Re member eR
At around 11 or 12 I had moved from Fulham out to Twickenham. Mates and I in the holidays would buy Red Rover tickets from the Fulwell Bus Depot. The cost two and six in old money. (12.5 pence) These enabled the purchaser to travel anywhere using a red London bus for 24 hours.
Duffel bags stuffed with sandwiches and orange juice kept us fed and we would travel all over London.
We visited so many places that now are the preserve of tourist and at that time they were all free.

The Science Museum, The Natural History Museum, The War Museum, were favourites. The Tower of London, where we walked past The Crown Jewels. (we may have had to pay to see them) The Monument, which we climbed to the very top, St Paul's Cathedral, The Cutty Sark, Greenwich Observatory and places I can not even recall now.

We would get on any bus and go for maybe 10 or 20 stops and get on the very first bus we saw and repeat that again, and again until we were God knows where. With the trusty London Transport bus map we always found our way back home.
East to Epping Forest, West to Windsor and Castle, South as far as Dorking or Leatherhead, North as far as the buses ran. We would start at 8 am and get back home between 6 and 8.

No phones, no worries. just out with your friends and out of touch.

Happy days.

A mate and I used to save up our pocket money and buy Rail Rover tickets (I think). Free travel courtesy of British Rail for a whole day. We'd tell our parents er were going trainspotting but instead of heading to the local station we'd be off to York, Bristol and London at the age of 12.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Was it just me, or did anyone else used to collect fag butts and empty the remanants of tabocco out and roll them up in a till receipt to smoke them? We would sometimes use rizla paper if we could get hold of it, it was a lot smoother on the lungs

Reminds me of a song I put in the Friday music a couple of weeks ago (Eno, Baby's on Fire)

Juanita and Juan
Very clever with maracas
Making their fortunes
Selling second-hand tobaccos
Juan dances at Chico's
And when the clients are evicted
He empties the ashtrays
And pockets all that he's collected

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Yes I did realise that.
I used to wear a kilt at Trade Fairs in Wales which got attention but no laughs apart from one female who was pressured to ask what I wore under it. When I offered to go with her behind the stand and show her she backed off. No I am not telling.

The last time I wore my kilt on a New Years eve night out in Bristol it did attract the attention of some slightly inebriated females who couldn't resist trying to take a peek :blush: ...I understand that's illegal now.....I'm not telling either.

Learned to play bass. Oh look, still doing that 50 years later!
:biggrin:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As a mid-teen sort of age; caving, canoeing, hiking, climbing and abseiling.
After starting work at 15 I guess I had less time.

Then girls & cars came along in the following years.... 😐

Summer of '76, group of us kids (c8-13 years old) would take bits of old cardboard to the nearby A45 dual carriageway on the NW edge of Coventry (towards Brum) at a very busy roundabout junction (A45 ran above the roundabout).

We would stand right next to the dual carriageway (traffic doing 60mph, and the rest!) and use the cardboard sheets as pseudo sledges to zoom down the steep dried out grass embankment, making sure we stopped before flying out onto the slip road below.

Never thought it strange or dangerous (no one got injured, and nobody ever told us off).

Different times I suppose.

Top Bottom