Things you did when you where younger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They weren't, but we used to carry an old ammo tin with snacks and (if we had one) a camera. I never carried a camera down the cave with me, because the only camera I had in those days was a Zenith SLR that weighed half a ton (or seemed like it). I actually still have that camera, but haven't used it for at least 20 years.

Yup I had a Zenith which I never took underground for similar reasons. And a little instamatic thingy which I suppose might have found a place in an ammo box, but I never bothered as the pics would be guaranteed terrible. Plus it's a bit dark down there, so that would have meant faffing about with flash.

dicko

Guru
I did the full trip Beavers through to Venture Scouts, once in Scouts however I learnt that the Jamborees were just an excuse to get pissed and try to cop off lol.

Badges I was really bad, our whole troop was, got a few but none of the hard ones.

I joined the Scouts when we wore Bushman’s hats like the US Marine corps NCOs wear. In the 1950s we were allowed to wear sheath knives, the longer and sharper the better. We learnt to snare and cook Rabbits, live outdoors under hand built Bivouac. Health and Safety weren’t anywhere those days yet we all survived.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
They weren't, but we used to carry an old ammo tin with snacks and (if we had one) a camera. I never carried a camera down the cave with me, because the only camera I had in those days was a Zenith SLR that weighed half a ton (or seemed like it). I actually still have that camera, but haven't used it for at least 20 years.

I seem to remember seeking out an SLR which would fit in a small ammo can (for 7.62 bullets). If I recall correctly, only Olympus or the then newer Pentax (I bought an MX) would fit. If you got anything else you needed a big ammo box (for .50 calibre browning bullets). Still have a few of the latter which I use for spanners.

The plastic drums are more common for cameras underground these days.

As an aside, the keen photographers love digital as they can review the picture, check all the flash guns have gone off, check the exposure and so on, before moving on to the next shot. A pal of more modest prowess, like me, said he preferred film. You could shoot a couple of rolls then have two weeks' happy anticipation of the great results before getting the film back and the inevitable let down. Digital was instant disappointment rather than instant gratification .

It's a good few years since I've bothered with photos underground, and I try hard to avoid going on anyone else's photo trips. All the hanging around getting cold whilst they fanny around setting up flash guns. Will still do it for one or two people who are slick and efficient. Bringing a camera on a "normal" caving trip is considered rather bad form, as it's annoying to be expected to hang around for someone else to take photos

I joined the Scouts when we wore Bushman’s hats like the US Marine corps NCOs wear. In the 1950s we were allowed to wear sheath knives, the longer and sharper the better. We learnt to snare and cook Rabbits, live outdoors under hand built Bivouac. Health and Safety weren’t anywhere those days yet we all survived.

1990s for me, it was a bit of transitioning phase for Scouting as they went more all inclusive with girls being able to join, but we also still used the older equipment like Classic Ridge Tents and Primus Stoves. Nearer the end of my run with them they had finally upgraded the tents to something more modern but kept the older tents still.

As a coincidence a tent I bought a few years back actually had the Scouting logo on, apparently it was the recommended tent!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Black and white photography, developing and making prints. I wish I had at least one of my pictures to show you.

Me too.

I have two:

IMG_1814.jpeg

The album containing the negatives, along with almost all the others I took over maybe ten years when it was my one full on hobby, has long since gone AWOL. 'tis one of my keenest losses.

Sailed a retirement project boat from 2003 to 2020 to most ports to the west of Dover.
As you do 😳

Anyway - then was in my teens - in my 30s I took the dog there for a walk for old times sake
YEA GODS that gap was damn small
how on Earth did we get through that gap - with proper handlebars - at that sort of speed and not DIE!!!
I didn't. Our version was riding something like 15 miles to Burnham Beeches where there was a downhill which had a deadly root sticking through the ground on one of the high points. It was important not to hit it. Unfortunately you were going at quite a clip when you got to that point, by which point my spectacles were juddering up and down on my nose so fast I couldn't see a thing, and I hit the root. And flew into the air. When I came down, all I had to do now was ride home 15 miles with a front wheel with a 2 inch kink in it.

Oh yes, one other thing...

why didn't they just spell it yot?

dicko

Guru
1990s for me, it was a bit of transitioning phase for Scouting as they went more all inclusive with girls being able to join, but we also still used the older equipment like Classic Ridge Tents and Primus Stoves. Nearer the end of my run with them they had finally upgraded the tents to something more modern but kept the older tents still.

As a coincidence a tent I bought a few years back actually had the Scouting logo on, apparently it was the recommended tent!

Primus Stoves 😮 we used real tree wood fires to do our cooking. We were taught to fell trees with Axes felling Axes no messing about. Once you passed the Axman’s badge you could wear a Sheath Knife on your belt (but not at Church parades). The Axman’s badge was the first badge everyone took. We were quite a Pirate outfit when tooled up 🏴‍☠️

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I used to go camping a lot in the late 60's and throughout the 70's with the Boys Brigade. Our leader was very keen to get us out most weekends. Our tents were standard ridge tents which were quite heavy to hike about with. It all culminated in doing the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme. I got all three, bronze, silver and gold, which was awarded to us by the Duke himself at Buckingham palace in 1974.

Windle

Über Member
As kids we used to have a local 'pond' on part of a disused railway line, running through farmland but often used as a dumping ground for all sorts of stuff. Perfect for building rafts out of the dumped stuff and testing them on the pond. This was a regular thing, but not once did we ever succeed.... oil drums were used, old doors, an old tin bath once, but we never learned. It would have saved a load of time and agro if we'd all just jumped in the bloody pond to start with then gone home for a bollocking :laugh:.

markemark

Über Member
Did Tae Kwon Do into my mid 30's. Went up to Sheffield for a fight and the lad I was facing was huge. I felt like Apollo Creed stepping into the ring with Ivan Drago.

Not only did I lose, but I was black and blue and sore and stiff for days afterwards. That was when I made the decision to call it a day.

I did Ta Kwon Do too. Many years ago I was at a tournament in Sheffield. Destroyed all my competition with round house kicks. Some were complete wimps who I left black and blue. Remained undefeated until I lost to Bruce Lee at the Colosseum.

Me too.

I have two:

View attachment 713539

The album containing the negatives, along with almost all the others I took over maybe ten years when it was my one full on hobby, has long since gone AWOL. 'tis one of my keenest losses.

As you do 😳

I didn't. Our version was riding something like 15 miles to Burnham Beeches where there was a downhill which had a deadly root sticking through the ground on one of the high points. It was important not to hit it. Unfortunately you were going at quite a clip when you got to that point, by which point my spectacles were juddering up and down on my nose so fast I couldn't see a thing, and I hit the root. And flew into the air. When I came down, all I had to do now was ride home 15 miles with a front wheel with a 2 inch kink in it.

Oh yes, one other thing...

why didn't they just spell it yot?

Have you seen the English Language????
why make that one word sound like it is spelt when there are so many other that don;t

anyway - it confuses the foreigners

including the Americans

Top Bottom