Things you did when you where younger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
We always lived on airbases, some very quiet and inevitably in the countryside so we weren't in a position to do stuff people do in towns...but build tree houses, explore explore explore, fishing, catapults, air rifles, climb ridiculously high trees ( poplars perhaps) , carry sheath knives and no one batted an eyelid, catch a bus on your own at 14 and go into Nottingham for the day and just explore...walk for miles in the countryside, go mushroom picking, scrumping, ride a clapped out old bike, do a demolition derby into privet hedges on it, model making, progressed onto balsa aircraft kits, big ones, engine powered ones, every day was a DIY day. Find something to do, make it up.

Yes I did realise that.
I used to wear a kilt at Trade Fairs in Wales which got attention but no laughs apart from one female who was pressured to ask what I wore under it. When I offered to go with her behind the stand and show her she backed off. No I am not telling.

Should have asked her what she wore under her skirt

or would that have been sexist??

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It was all ponies for me. We couldn’t afford good ponies so mine were rogues that needed sorting out, schooling up and generally learning some manners. Dad would pick something likely up at an auction. I learned a lot more than I did at a riding stables when I was learning to ride in the first place.
First one father brought home was called So-crates. It said Socrates on his bridle and dad, being quite Norfolk and not with the benefit of a grammar school education which didn’t seem to slow him down at all, called him So-Crates. Could have been worse, I suppose, could have been Xerxes.

I broke my collar bone a few times, wrists a few times.
The ponies kept me out of the house and ‘out of trouble’. When I lived with one aunt, I biked daily to the horse, when I lived with my Great Aunt, whatever horse I had came with me. When they were sorted out and schooled up, Dad would sell them and get another from the auction.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Rollerskate on eight wheels at roller-discos playing early Eighties cheesy music.
Great fun.

It was all ponies for me. We couldn’t afford good ponies so mine were rogues that needed sorting out, schooling up and generally learning some manners. Dad would pick something likely up at an auction. I learned a lot more than I did at a riding stables when I was learning to ride in the first place.
First one father brought home was called So-crates. It said Socrates on his bridle and dad, being quite Norfolk and not with the benefit of a grammar school education which didn’t seem to slow him down at all, called him So-Crates. Could have been worse, I suppose, could have been Xerxes.

I broke my collar bone a few times, wrists a few times.
The ponies kept me out of the house and ‘out of trouble’. When I lived with one aunt, I biked daily to the horse, when I lived with my Great Aunt, whatever horse I had came with me. When they were sorted out and schooled up, Dad would sell them and get another from the auction.

That sounds a bit like me - only broke my nose a couple of times and have some superficial scars and a dent in my shin - lucky that wasn't a major fracture) - except that my uncle, who was a very busy farrier, would get problem ponies for me via his network of pals. By the time I was 15 or so, I'd gone through everything from 'uncatchable' Shetlands to horses from the trotting track (a pal of my uncle worked at one ...). When I was about 7, the Head Groom at the local 'big house' told my uncle, when he took a couple of hunters to be shod, that the young miss had an impossible-to-catch pony, and that if the farrier's niece (me) could catch it, it was mine to ride whenever I wanted, no need even to ask. So it took me a couple of weeks to catch it (not school holidays!) but I caught it, and could always catch it thereafter, no problem. If anyone watched what I did, and copied it, they could've caught it too. My uncle did, and could.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I also was in the Cubs and the Scouts where I learned a lot about enjoying the great outdoors. I never progressed to the Venture Scouts because the few times I attended seemed to be full of cliques that weren’t interested in newcomers. At that point I defected to D of E which had the added attraction of girls.

Other than that I built plastic models, mostly aircraft and armoured vehicles. I recently joined a few groups on social media and have realised that I must have spent an astonishing amount of time and money (even at 1980s prices) on my hobby based on the sheer number of kits I remember building.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I played a crapton of rugby growing up and I was pretty good at it. This was before union went professional, otherwise I might have been tempted to make a career of it. In the end I didn’t really have the hunger and a few nasty concussions meant I pulled the plug and decided that riding a bike was less stressful. I’ve never had much of a competitive streak.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Was it just me, or did anyone else used to collect fag butts and empty the remanants of tabocco out and roll them up in a till receipt to smoke them? We would sometimes use rizla paper if we could get hold of it, it was a lot smoother on the lungs

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Was it just me, or did anyone else used to collect fag butts and empty the remanants of tabocco out and roll them up in a till receipt to smoke them? We would sometimes use rizla paper if we could get hold of it, it was a lot smoother on the lungs

I just used to nick my mum and dads fags.
Until I got to 15 when me ol' man bought me a pack of B&H and said there you go. Stop you nicking mine,

Top Bottom