Things you did when you where younger?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually make it!

I was hoping that part of teh conversation would halt before anyone starts talking about photos!

Gwylan

Veteran
Yes, I did the dumb things.
Most of what I did would shock the elfin safe tea brigade. Some of it would get me an ASBO or worse.

Crewed a 420, learned to judge when you unhook from the trapeze before a full face plant and worse.
Sailed winter series, Boxing Day icicle stuff.
Then we got wet suits.

Did caving, mostly for the photography. Still have the slides.
Some ice climbing. New Year camping in Glencoe.
Walked the Zillertal, the summer everything shut because of the snow. Bit extreme that was.

Sailed a retirement project boat from 2003 to 2020 to most ports to the west of Dover.

Still in touch with the four other guys who became Queen's Scouts with me.

Learned most about leadership and caring for your team in the Scouts. Harvard does not get near dealing with cold, wet, hungry boys.

Also learned about my limits and how near the edge I could go and get back.
Now I have rheumatism, my heart is unreliable, eyesight is shot. But I had fun most of the time getting here

Gwylan

Veteran
Must confess, when I was in the Scouts, took my cycling badge in St Helens. Had to answer a few questions and then ride round the town. Got back and we passed the test OK, but leaving the police HQ, realised we had just cycled back up a one-way street, the wrong way!

Oh, the cycling badge.

It snowed the day of our test. We got caught taking cover in the pub by the examiner.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes, I did the dumb things.
Most of what I did would shock the elfin safe tea brigade. Some of it would get me an ASBO or worse.

Crewed a 420, learned to judge when you unhook from the trapeze before a full face plant and worse.
Sailed winter series, Boxing Day icicle stuff.
Then we got wet suits.

Did caving, mostly for the photography. Still have the slides.
Some ice climbing. New Year camping in Glencoe.
Walked the Zillertal, the summer everything shut because of the snow. Bit extreme that was.

Sailed a retirement project boat from 2003 to 2020 to most ports to the west of Dover.

Still in touch with the four other guys who became Queen's Scouts with me.

Learned most about leadership and caring for your team in the Scouts. Harvard does not get near dealing with cold, wet, hungry boys.

Also learned about my limits and how near the edge I could go and get back.
Now I have rheumatism, my heart is unreliable, eyesight is shot. But I had fun most of the time getting here

Talking of scouts had a night in field with scouts on Saturday! Leaders were so apologetic! Don't worry daughters are guides and used to camp with youth group!!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Was into football first. Then a couple years of MTBing around the roads and woods with my mate. Then at 14 we started collecting fag butts and nicking drink from our parents! At 15 I joined a band with other mates and that was pretty much it until I left home.

roley poley

Über Member
many a good rope swing was made during the summer holidays ..we learned to anchor the rope to a nearby tree at ground level and throw its length over a vee shaped bough to swing by the river ...you then could undo and retrieve it later for future use ..sorry but many flat backed trucks in my day did roping and sheeting to strap their loads down and maybe there was a rope missing when they came to work the next day :whistle:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did Tae Kwon Do into my mid 30's. Went up to Sheffield for a fight and the lad I was facing was huge. I felt like Apollo Creed stepping into the ring with Ivan Drago.

Not only did I lose, but I was black and blue and sore and stiff for days afterwards. That was when I made the decision to call it a day.

I did lau gar Kung Fu,tai chi and wing chun but packed it in when working shifts put a spanner in the works

SLightly different

but during WW2 my Mum was supposed to be at school

but the girls were not allowed to go to school so the teacher could go to war - or whatever
The older teachers were all kept on to teach the boys - whose education was "clearly" more important

As a result the girls were sort of left alone

which is fine if Mummy is at home - but my Mum's Mum died when she was very young so it was just her and her sister
and her Dad (my Grandad) was the village Policeman - and had to work 12 hours shifts

The people up the road fed them and made sure they were all right

they were in the middle of the country (nowadays known as the middle of the Woodchurch Estate ( unless they have renamed it)!)

and in summer there were lots of fields around some with haystacks

at least there were haystacks until the girls found them!!!

There were also apple trees - with obvious temptations

and something about running home and climbing over a fence and getting hung up by her knickers (her friend couldn;t help due to being helpless with laughter!)

sounds like my teenage years were quite tame!

Top Bottom