Things you miss about a previous house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I miss my place in Voe. I still own it and rent it out, but its uncertain if we'll move back there or not. I'd love to, but in deference to Mrs D who is from a large family in Cov that shes very close to and her health I can foresee that we may not :sad:

I miss switching the lights off and watching the weather hammer in off the Atlantic, I miss occasionally seeing seals in the garden (the aquatic mammals, not American maritime special forces commandoes), I miss the Rayburn. I miss 5 hours of winter daylight, I miss the simmer din, I miss staying with friends in Lerwick during Up Helly Aa. I miss the onatant wind and the heavy rain, I miss the feel of man versus nature. I miss dropping into Shetlandic with the locals when Glaswegian tourists rattled on about Scottish nationalism, I miss the feel of living on the edge. I miss myself and everyone around me being properly prepared for sheet happening, all had water, blankets and non perishable food in our cars. I miss riding my motorbike up to Unst to see my mate Damien who joined the army with me.

I don't miss the fact that it required constant attention to keep it watertight and secure, smacking my head on the low lintels, not having a paved driveway so either having to struggle on with my Dads elderly SIIA landy or parking a normal car a few hundred yards away with the neighbours, frequent blackouts, and having to spend too much time in the summer storing up peat and wood for heat and cooking. I dont miss the drugs (a big problem in Lerwick and some of the larger settlements), I don't miss oil industry workers cutting up rough in the pub although that seemed to die off with the 90s.
Man thats a cracking piece of descriptive prose ! "Chapeau" and thanks, Woodbutcher .

mustang1

Guru
Further away from outlaws.

Gunk

Guru
This is only our third house in 47 years 1973, 1979,2001, I suspect I may be in a minority or am I, I get the impression people move a lot.

Not as much as they used to, the fees and stamp duty are causing more people to stay in their homes for longer. We’ve been in our current house for 18 years now, I thought we’d be here for a couple of years but we just like it, so we’ve stayed and thrown some money at it and made it as comfortable as possible.

Top Bottom