Things you miss about a previous house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Nothing, the same for the 8 or so before.
Not to hijack the thread but you made me think back.
Our first house bought in 1970 cost us the princely sum of £650. That was a lot as I only earned £15 per week. It was the subject of compulsory purchase. No bathroom and the bog was down the yard........that was cold in the winter:blush:
Next house cost £4000.00 and we were worried as the mortgage rates shot up to 15%.......can you young'uns get your head around that:eek:
\next house was £9,000.00 and the one we have now been in since 1982 cost us £21,000.00. Ex MOD officers house. Every wall is solid. Built to withstand earthquakes. outside walls are reinforced up to window height. Nice house though.

Venod

Eh up
This is only our third house in 47 years 1973, 1979,2001, I suspect I may be in a minority or am I, I get the impression people move a lot.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
This is only our third house in 47 years 1973, 1979,2001, I suspect I may be in a minority or am I, I get the impression people move a lot.
Can't speak for others but l have moved around quite a bit because of work . Not always buying , more often than not l rented places to live. And if you throw marital divorce into the mix , that complicates matters :whistle:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
The first house I bought. I bled, sweat and cried into that place, only for my (now ex) wife to want to move shortly after I'd finished. I'd buy it back without hesitation, if only so I could repaint the back room because I got the colours totally wrong.
I am in complete sympathy with you on the divorce issue. Not to be recommended when it comes to house ownership, or as in my case , suddenly non- house ownership 😢

screenman

Legendary Member
The house we are in now I designed and had built 11 years ago, it is the longest we have lived in the same house. Some of the rooms have been decorated 8 times or is it 9, I am not good at sitting down.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I miss living in my mum & dads hotel when I was a teenager. Getting home from school, asking the chef to knock me up a bit of dinner, playing the fruit machines, helping myself to a sneaky beer from the bar and raiding the walk-in fridge to a slice of cheesecake or gateau

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm still in my first mortgaged house.
We are looking to move, lockdown has halted the move.
My wife has lived in lots of places, ex husband moved jobs a lot.
She and I both love where I got a house...but it's time for a detached house life:smile:

I don't miss any house flat or digs I have lived in.

I liked my parents bungalow as that was in a super location at a certain point in my life.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I miss living in my mum & dads hotel when I was a teenager. Getting home from school, asking the chef to knock me up a bit of dinner, playing the fruit machines, helping myself to a sneaky beer from the bar and raiding the walk-in fridge to a slice of cheesecake or gateau
Oh boy that's a dream situation ....and you lived to tell the story , BONUS !

Slick

Guru
Nothing. We sold it cheap and left in a hurry when a violent drug dealer moved in next door and life became unbearable.

Shan't miss the present house either when we move to Scotland later this year. We've spent many many thousands of pounds on it over the years we've lived here just getting it modernised and secure and warm meaning we'll make no profit selling it.

Good luck with the move, I hope that it works out for you. 👍
My old flat in Aberdeen had fantastic views out to sea at the front and views over the city at the back.
Don’t miss it though.
Much happier in our wee bungalow out of town :smile:
I almost moved to Aberdeen about 2 or 3 years ago, pre bypass anyway, and was surprised by just how many cracking wee villages there were beside or certainly in view of the sea. Mrs Slick could have moved there no problem, just a shame that the job wasn't all I hoped it would be. I did wonder if I made the right decision when I saw that bypass though, looks great. 👍

Drago

Legendary Member
I miss my place in Voe. I still own it and rent it out, but its uncertain if we'll move back there or not. I'd love to, but in deference to Mrs D who is from a large family in Cov that shes very close to and her health I can foresee that we may not :sad:

I miss switching the lights off and watching the weather hammer in off the Atlantic, I miss occasionally seeing seals in the garden (the aquatic mammals, not American maritime special forces commandoes), I miss the Rayburn. I miss 5 hours of winter daylight, I miss the simmer din, I miss staying with friends in Lerwick during Up Helly Aa. I miss the onatant wind and the heavy rain, I miss the feel of man versus nature. I miss dropping into Shetlandic with the locals when Glaswegian tourists rattled on about Scottish nationalism, I miss the feel of living on the edge. I miss myself and everyone around me being properly prepared for sheet happening, all had water, blankets and non perishable food in our cars. I miss riding my motorbike up to Unst to see my mate Damien who joined the army with me.

I don't miss the fact that it required constant attention to keep it watertight and secure, smacking my head on the low lintels, not having a paved driveway so either having to struggle on with my Dads elderly SIIA landy or parking a normal car a few hundred yards away with the neighbours, frequent blackouts, and having to spend too much time in the summer storing up peat and wood for heat and cooking. I dont miss the drugs (a big problem in Lerwick and some of the larger settlements), I don't miss oil industry workers cutting up rough in the pub although that seemed to die off with the 90s.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
The only thing i miss is having a garage, but i'd probably only fill it with more motorcycles.
My current bungalow is pretty spot on. Decent sized garden front & rear and a driveway for my car. I dont think i'll ever move again.

Top Bottom