Things you never see any more No.361

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 2062273, member: 45"]Those lorries stacked with wicker baskets containing homing pigeons.[/quote]
Wrong... 0.5 mile from me someone has 3 such wagons regularly I use.

snorri

Legendary Member
Onion Johnies.

Woops sorry! I hadn't thought further explanation would have been necessary, I even anglicised it from the more commom 'Ingin Johnie'. This was the name given to the door to door onion sellers who came from Brittany every summer wearing their traditional blue berets and pushing their heavy bikes laden with strings of onions hanging from the handlebars. They got as far north as northern Scotland, so I would think they would also have been a common sight further south.:smile:
Obviously they set up a distribution centre to cycle out from every day, but I don't know any details.

trampyjoe

I saw one in Thurso (of all places) about 3 or 4 years ago now. They were going to release the birds later that day IIRC, and they had to fly to places down south like Essex.

When I worked down Essex way on a farm I used to regularly see them lorries releasing birds to fly north (so the guy told me).

People using pocket watches when it isn't some sort of special occasion.

I have one which I use normally from day to day, and have been praised by older people when they see me with it, so I suppose that one doesn't quite count, but anyway.
I use a pocket watch most of the time.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Woops sorry! I hadn't thought further explanation would have been necessary, I even anglicised it from the more commom 'Ingin Johnie'. This was the name given to the door to door onion sellers who came from Brittany every summer wearing their traditional blue berets and pushing their heavy bikes laden with strings of onions hanging from the handlebars. They got as far north as northern Scotland, so I would think they would also have been a common sight further south.:smile:
Obviously they set up a distribution centre to cycle out from every day, but I don't know any details.
... and their bikes have been used to ride the 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris audax ...

snorri

Legendary Member
They were, or so my parents tell me...
Yir a cheeky wee rascal:boxing:

:smile:

Maz

Guru
The Alpine fizzy pop lorry.
Once a week a flatbed lorry used to come raand aar way sellin pop off 't back t'lorreh.
Mi favourite woh pineapple flavour. Them were't days!

Top Bottom