Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Another thing I like very much is the Parkrun system which shows how incredibly nice - for the most part - everybody is. I was marshalling on Saturday (and probably will be again this Saturday) and I was needed at a road crossing. It goes without saying all the runners were nice but every single car driver I had to stop while runners - sometimes in largish groups, occasionally solo - waited patiently and all waved their thanks when they could move on. So I think that sums up one great thing about this country, niceness!

me neither in Italy - for a long time I almost saw it as a personal affront.
Years ago I was in an Italian train compartment and it emerged somehow that one of the blokes not in uniform was a policeman. Someone asked if he had a gun, he said yes, and the compartment of folks then rather excitedly asked to see it. He took the pistol out of his jeans or wherever and may even have passed it around. He did take the precaution of first pointing it at the train floor and pulling the trigger.
Even so, I thought the whole episode a bit inadvisable.
It helps when you realise that the police in Italy are a branch of the military. But yeah, a plain clothes cop should know better than to mess about.
I had a number of experiences with the carabinieri, and it was pretty jarring each time to see them openly carrying assault rifles, particularly the two guarding the British consulate in Milan, sat in a very small antechamber with me and two other Brits while waiting for the consulate to re-open after lunch.

PaulB

Legendary Member

AuroraSaab

Veteran
There's so much to like about the UK. From stuff like the NHS and our sense of humour, to the landscape and history.

Generally, people here are just kind and caring. I have lost count of the number of times people have done minor things like given me their parking ticket or free stuff. We care for animals far better than most countries and our police are less corrupt than almost anywhere else. I'm not saying there isn't corruption in the UK but it's less than in most places.

Even when we elect crappy politicians it's usually not because we like them, it's more a 'best of a bad lot' mentality than actual enthusiasm. I like that we have a healthy cynicism and don't fall for the hype most of the time.

Not the State Police (La Polizia Statale), they're civil, as are the Local Police (La Polizia Locale). It's the Carabinieri and the Guardia di Finanzia that are military.
Yes, it was the Carabinieri who I had dealings with. La Polizia Locale weren't at all interested in the case of the Magical Disappearing Bike.
The Carabinieri weren't particularly either but at least they took my report and sent me to a consulate that turned out not to exist.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Not the State Police (La Polizia Statale), they're civil, as are the Local Police (La Polizia Locale). It's the Carabinieri and the Guardia di Finanzia that are military.
Yep, and as you say There's also lots of local police of various type, city police etc, more police forces than you can shake a stick at in italy. Then there's the forest police who keep the squirrels in line.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We still care about animal welfare!

1628807713097.png

https://www.change.org/p/boris-john...killing-healthy-alpacas-without-valid-science

With all the animal welfare talk at the moment about Operation Ark and the attempt to save 170 or so animals in Kabul and the staff who looked after them, it's all gone quiet over Geronimo. Serious question. Is he still alive?

Last edited:
Top Bottom