Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, I'll admit a bit of a (healthy to my mind) antidote to some of the habitual knee-jerk Brit hating that goes on in the dreaded NACAS yard, but what, despite its many clear faults, warms your heart about this damp isle and its people?

One I was reminded of earlier today.

Folk saying thank you to bus drivers.

I mean they are clearly paid to drive the buses, and are going that whatever way anyway, but many folk of all sorts of backgrounds, very often, me included, often say thank you when getting on and off.

(maybe this happens abroad as well - maybe some of our foreign correspondents can educate us)

Another one - folk saying sorry after a minor pedestrian collision, even if it's clearly not their fault - but done without even a hint of sarkiness or obsequiousness - just a sorry generously freely given.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I can drink water straight out of the tap.

With the minimum usage of common sense, I can still walk about without much fear of being a victim of crime.

Despite my usual rantings about the weather, I do quite enjoy the variety of the seasons!

If I accidentally find myself in London, there are multiple ways of escaping back to the north.

yello

Pub (gastro) food. Going back a few years but I assume it can be just as good.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The people, who I find are mainly caring and talkative.
yep I think so.
I had two alternative takes on this from two Italian blokes.
One (someone I knew in Italy) said they were unfriendly, but I think he had issues best not gone into.
Another Italian I knew in London (cycling buddy) who was actually a somewhat dark complicated character in some ways said that he found brits generally open - he said he could sense this when walking towards them on the prom in brighton. Something to do with their gaze i suppose. Which seemed like a nice real comment.

Top Bottom