Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I do think that to truly appreciate this Country, you need to have experienced other places, so that it puts some of the gripes, isms and skisms some people get het up about into context.
tend to agree - some folks' experience of other places doesn't go much beyond holidays, sunshine and cookery progs.

I've lived and worked in a great many places in the world and have found something - often very many things - beautiful in every single one of them.

Then I retired and went to visit a friend who lived in the Ribble Valley. As I turned off the main A59 just before Clitheroe, the valley laid itself out before me like an intricate carpet, the Bowland Fells rose beyond and I thought 'THIS is where I want to be ...'

I've not changed my mind in the past 12+ years, even though I do have moments where I want to get away from the grey clouds and the rain, and return to the French Polynesian beaches I have known, the Alpine village I lived in or the magical deserts I've loved.

I was deeply, deeply disappointed when this country voted for Brexit - but what's done is done and I just have to cope with it as bet I can.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You know, out of all the things in the world this is the one that always gets me thinking how lucky we are. How many people don't have access to clean, safe drinking water at all, let alone piped straight into their homes? It's a marvel if you stop and consider it.
^^^This. We are lucky here that we have piped water, although they only turn it on for a couple of hours each day so we store it in a tank.
Our less well off neighbours over the road don't have it so have to fetch water in containers. Even small children have to do their bit.
1627670156680.png

If you have to carry it you are much more careful about how you use it. In the UK it's taken for granted.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Things I like about this country?

Hhmmm. Well, there's the Labour Party - never leaves me short of something to laugh at.

so you are political then

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cheese. We have a wider range of cheese than pretty much anywhere.
I thought the French were streets ahead on the cheese race.

For the record, I love English cheese as well as French ones. BTW, does the US make any other than a tasteless, anaemic slice inside a Subway sandwich? There must be southern folk with a French background who brew up some pretty good stuff.

Top Bottom