Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
The incredible variety found between Cornwall and the Shetlands - places, people, pubs. I’ve been around a bit, and it never ceases to amaze me.

I’ll stop before I get something in my eye :-)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
folks from an asian/eastern background (though the vast majority if not pretty much all surely born here) talking with a broad lancashire/yorkshire accent.

and kinda opposite in a way:

west indian women of a certain age talking in that sing sing voice - am always puzzled as to how they have retained it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
folks from an asian/eastern background (though the vast majority if not pretty much all surely born here) talking with a broad lancashire/yorkshire accent.

and kinda opposite in a way:

west indian women of a certain age talking in that sing sing voice - am always puzzled as to how they have retained it.

Yes, one of my good friends at work is Indian, and is way more Manc than I am ! :okay:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Then of course there's!!! 🧐

It has interesting and varied geography, and is a melting pot incorporating the dozens of cultures who have variously settled, migrated, and conquered the islands over the millennia - the history is a lot more interesting than the stuff taught in school or that Mel Gibson would lead us to believe.

The nation itself was actually a force for unalloyed good at one point, albeit briefly, and recalled with too much misty-eyed nostalgia. Despite its involvement being driven by self-interest, there was much legitimate humanitarianism and altruism involved.

The RNLI stuff recently shows that many people openly reject the trajectory some would have us go down, which is heartening.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
doesn't hampshire get a look in?
(I kipped there between lockdowns in a bivi - wasn't attacked despite being in pretty clear sight of a cycling route)
I was 19 when I left. I've been back to the south-east and London many times for a variety of reasons. I've no wish to upset people but I cannot think of a single reason why I would want to return.

Last time I went to York I was riding the Way of the Roses. My overnight stop was York. I cycled up Bootham, straight to the Minster, parked my bike and kissed the stone.

Nothing in the south makes me feel as I do about Lancashire and Yorkshire. People don't find it strange when you speak to them.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I was 19 when I left. I've been back to the south-east and London many times for a variety of reasons. I've no wish to upset people but I cannot think of a single reason why I would want to return.

Last time I went to York I was riding the Way of the Roses. My overnight stop was York. I cycled up Bootham, straight to the Minster, parked my bike and kissed the stone.

Nothing in the south makes me feel as I do about Lancashire and Yorkshire. People don't find it strange when you speak to them.
there's bits of Bowland where on my bike I've uttered appreciative obscenities to the skies - though didn't really value until fairly old.

Top Bottom