Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Folk saying thank you to bus drivers.

I mean they are clearly paid to drive the buses, and are going that whatever way anyway, but many folk of all sorts of backgrounds, very often, me included, often say thank you when getting on and off.

(maybe this happens abroad as well - maybe some of our foreign correspondents can educate us)

Depends where you are I think: In Stuttgart it's less common. Here in the Breisgau region it is normal. The humour is similar to the UK as well.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
When route finding as a (p)leisure cyclist, I find the wealth of choice in our near inexhaustible network of quiet back roads and lanes an absolute joy.
+1 I often think this. Some places I've cycled abroad have a real lack of route choices. It can be either a thundering road or nothing or a rocky track and that's your lot. I suppose we have to thank our long history, pretty compact isle and lots of folk tinkering with the countryside for work - agricultural and industrial.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
A rather random list, not in any order after the first entry:

My parents

York

Drystone walls

Peak district

The coast

Seaside resorts

Bike shops with cafes.

Sharing humour with random strangers

Brooks saddles

Beautiful and functional Victorian industrial engineering

Tweed rides

Pacers

Fish and Chips

Mountains, especially in Wales and Scotland

Hadrians wall

Narrow gauge railways

Smallish canals

Cathedrals

Country lanes

Wensleydale

Wensleydale cheese

Really remote places

Islands

Low tech solutions to things

Traction engines

Red post boxes

Marmite

Treacle

The Pennines

The lake district

Lots of art and theatre everywhere

Community responses to difficulty

The readiness of people and charities to jump into situations

Fishing boats

Life boats

West Highland Terriers

Eccentric ideas like mazes made of corn, penny farthing races or “Best dress Brompton rider” competitions.

Villages

Humour even in “professional” situations like train announcements.

People’s response to perceived injustice.

Second hand bookshops that don’t mind you browsing.

Being surrounded by little bits of history wherever you are

An ancient and diverse history of different people groups

Diverse and compact landscapes that change suddenly.

Small craft based businesses

Craft fairs

Forestry commission forests

National parks.

Model shops that sell interesting and obscure model making bits, and second hand models.

Model railway exhibitions

Landscapes that look “right” in the rain.

Openness to villages like Lammas and similar ideas.

Puffins
cripes - feeling homesick andy?

Linked to a few of your points above, though I doubtless found them damn odd or even sad when younger, I have a bit of a thing for those village fairs on greens you sometimes come across by chance in the warmer months where you quite often get one of those displays of perfectly polished small detached steam engines (no vehicle) sat on the ground chuntering away. Going nowhere/doing nothing. Keeps their proud owners occupied through the winter months I suppose.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thank gawd I won't be around to see that :rolleyes:
I was trying to cheer folk up with this thread raleighnut :smile:

cripes - feeling homesick andy?

Linked to a few of your points above, though I doubtless found them damn odd or even sad when younger, I have a bit of a thing for those village fairs on greens you sometimes come across by chance in the warmer months where you quite often get one of those displays of perfectly polished small detached steam engines (no vehicle) sat on the ground chuntering away. Going nowhere/doing nothing. Keeps their proud owners occupied through the winter months I suppose.

Not especially; some of those things exist here, but the British "versions" are different.

As you said above, it's easy to get all negative about the UK and forget the things I do like about it, so it seemed like a good opportunity to sit down and work out what some of them are.

I never really understood the stationary steam engine thing either though.

I miss the England I grew up in :sad:

You may have hit the reason I like it in the Freiburg region, as it's a lot like an idealised England: small villages with strong communities, a relaxed atmosphere, things close on Sundays so it's nice and quiet, and people have a sense of humour.

As an added bonus it's a fairly tolerant and open place to be as well, and you can go to France for free. If only they could have Marmite and steam engines it'd be perfect.

Top Bottom