Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why leave then?

Not all these things are exclusive to the UK; Germany is a very nice place to live as well.

I think I've mentioned the reason for leaving the UK before on this forum: I met and fell in love with a Beautiful Lady from Japan; Even back in 2001 the British government made applying for a spouse visa very difficult with comparatively high earning requirements*, and even if we got a visa there was no certainty it would be extended.

As an EU citizen I could stay in Germany as long as I had a job where I earned enough to make social security payments. Most importantly, Germany treated my non-EU wife as an EU citizen, so we could live together.

*To be fair, so was the Japanese government.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Not all these things are exclusive to the UK; Germany is a very nice place to live as well.

I think I've mentioned the reason for leaving the UK before on this forum: I met and fell in love with a Beautiful Lady from Japan; Even back in 2001 the British government made applying for a spouse visa very difficult with comparatively high earning requirements*, and even if we got a visa there was no certainty it would be extended.

As an EU citizen I could stay in Germany as long as I had a job where I earned enough to make social security payments. Most importantly, Germany treated my non-EU wife as an EU citizen, so we could live together.

*To be fair, so was the Japanese government.
I love Germany! I’d happily live there! Such a sensible nation AND it has sommerrodelbahns!!

Marmalade, marmite and motor racing. :becool:

And countryside like this - who says the Cambridgeshire fens aren't beautiful. I do so love the big skies...

IMG_0058_small.jpg

IMG_0041_small.jpg

And countryside like this also...

IMG_0031_small.jpg

N.B. This is the road between Alresford and Ovington that runs along the Itchen Valley (NCN 23)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It was the local village fete yesterday, Rose Queen, tombola, bric a brac, egg and spoon races, greasy pole challenge etc. All good, clean fun and something for every age group (the oldest attendee is 97). Quintessentially English and I love it.
(I was on the "guess the value of the groceries" wheelbarrow as well as a member of the men's dance troupe, about which the less said the better - as one person put it "it's not a dance display, more a comedy show").

OP
OP
Blue Hills
It was the local village fete yesterday, Rose Queen, tombola, bric a brac, egg and spoon races, greasy pole challenge etc. All good, clean fun and something for every age group (the oldest attendee is 97). Quintessentially English and I love it.
(I was on the "guess the value of the groceries" wheelbarrow as well as a member of the men's dance troupe, about which the less said the better - as one person put it "it's not a dance display, more a comedy show").
any terrier racing?
Used to go to a wonderful fete in a village near Nottingham which did it.
Terrier racing great on a summer's day with a beer - all the better for the fact that it's so unpredictable/is not a real race/everyone and every dog wins.
Stuff the Palio with its machismo, posturing, cruelty and celebration of cheating - terrier racing every time.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
any terrier racing?
Terrier racing great on a summer's day with a beer - all the better for the fact that it's so unpredictable/is not a real race/everyone and every dog wins.
No there wasn't. But great idea for next year maybe :okay:
The greasy pole was a great success this year. A few bales of hay supporting a wide heavy duty drain pipe and pillows used to try and knock the person opposite off. Kids love it and of course, in the evening the adults after a few drinks ...... The horse riders were the best at it, I guess they could grip with their legs better.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
No there wasn't. But great idea for next year maybe :okay:
The greasy pole was a great success this year. A few bales of hay supporting a wide heavy duty drain pipe and pillows used to try and knock the person opposite off. Kids love it and of course, in the evening the adults after a few drinks ...... The horse riders were the best at it, I guess they could grip with their legs better.
here you are - minimal equipment needed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND3-KUEwDHQ

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Alwinton country show in deepest Northumberland has Cumberland wrestling which looks like something out of the 19th century.

Proper rural, one road in and the same road out.

The gents' toilet was a pallet slung over a brook.

During my visit, the wrestling was suspended because they needed the ring to land the air ambulance to pick up a a guy who had collapsed.

purpan

10 cc. Musically eccentric, exploiting American genres with a wry English lyrical humour. And bloody good songs.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
any terrier racing?
Stuff the Palio with its machismo, posturing, cruelty and celebration of cheating - terrier racing every time.
They used to have terrier racing at Dalmally agricultural show when we did such events. Highlight of the day.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The BBC, Radio, TV and the World Service.
In the same vein, and controversially, the great British press. Few countries boast such a range of, yes I insist, quality options for the engaged & thinking reader. Try spending time in somewhere like New Zealand, where all papers are local, with Otago wool prices on the front page and an earthquake in Iran given two sentences from Reuters on p13, you'd give your right arm for a Daily Mail, never mind a Grauniad.

Top Bottom