Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Pies.

Can't think of anything else.

Still do it round here
Newspaper?

We get them rapped in paper but not old Newspapers.

That would be a throwback.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s separated from the rest of the world by a fair bit of water.

If not for that we’d all be Nazis by now.

Last edited:
for me, its the various accents, landscapes and regional beer and food

then there's the People, whether 20th generation roman or french, new generation Asian and middle eastern.

I was reminded on a recent trip of just how helpful and friendly people are on a number of occasions, from a lady replacing my ceramic mug and flannel (left on a town sign under the canal bridge in Hungerford - its orange if you picked it up and want to return it) to an elderly lady who offered me a bag of donuts, two bananas and filled my water bottles when i asked where the nearest church to fill my bottles was. she was even taken aback when I carried her shopping from her car to her front gate whilst she was filling said bottles.

Place names. There’s some real beauties out there .

definitely, but Road names are great also, a recent trip took me along Four Mills Lane - says everything you need to know about that Lane if you actually stop and think about it. but that's the issue sometimes, just too busy to take it in. i think that's why the bike is the best way to explore, bar none

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Still do it round here
really?
I thought it had been made illegal.
Am old enough to remember getting fish and chips in newsprint, then it stopping, and for a brief period there were "food safe" paper wrappings or whatever they were called with imitation newspapers to help the nervous transition.

Personally I was always doubtful that the old newspapers did anyone any harm - am sure there are foodie progs where they will lovingly show rustic types cooking in holes in the ground or whatever. While middle class foodies bill and coo about the authenticity or whatever.

Top Bottom