Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
road users giving the palm as thanks for a road favour.
Maybe happens in other places - don't know.
used to drive a foreigner now and again who told me i was being stupid/somehow subservient for doing it.
As a cyclist these days (car gone) I still thankfully quite often have reason to give the palm to drivers.

It's almost unknown in Stuttgart, and indeed I've also been told off for it there, but very common in the Freiburg region.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Queuing patiently.

{ Sorry, Audi drivers should ignore this }

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Libraries - though am all too well aware that they are under terrible/previously unimaginable threat these days.
I love the fact that in many towns/areas the library is often one of the most impressive and central buildings.
Good shout! They're also heated, so in winter helps to keep home heating costs down. :okay: I would often call in and spend the morning reading the papers.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The churches are just great to visit and look inside as well. A place of solitude and meditation whether you are religious or not. Plus such a variety of styles. Shame some aren’t open during the week.

Libraries - though am all too well aware that they are under terrible/previously unimaginable threat these days.
I love the fact that in many towns/areas the library is often one of the most impressive and central buildings.

That is one thing I miss: dropping into a library and getting interesting books to read without having to push through the language.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I like it that we are for the most part a tolerant lot. Though looking online you’d begin to wonder. Certainly in the flesh, most are welcoming and celebrate and / or show curiosity about our differences.
yep - god forbid an alien (or just foreign bod) should look at NACAs for their impression of britain and the brits.

Top Bottom