Things you rather like about this country

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
"Chinese" chippies.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Our local Chinese Chippie has pretty much every racial group working there

except oriental
the one in a certain lancashire town I know does the best fish and chips in town (tho at least half of its customers go for the chinese options) - which I like (and why I posted) - in contrast I know an Italian town which boasts a place proudly selling "Italian kebabs" - reassuringly untouched by anyone non Italian I assume.

Chris S

Legendary Member
There's a genuine German Donner Kebab shop near me :smile:

images.jpeg

Drago

Legendary Member
so you are political then
Au contrare. You made an assumption made on laughably little information.

I like the current Labour administration. Theyre so ridiculously inept and out of touch they never fail to make me smile, and I like that. They clearly have a robust sense of humour.

But that is in no way an indication of any political leaning I may or may not possess.

If the thread were entitled "Things that rather fill you with horror and dismay" then I would without hesitation have replied 'the Conservative government'.

My apologies for drawing the thread inadvertently in a minor political direction, but the accusation had been made and needed correcting.

Last edited:
Having just cleared up a rather fine example by Dickinson & Morris...

Pork pies.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Sense of humour, very 'Black ' at times or even 'sick ' depending on how sensitive people are but it never ceases to amaze me the speed that someone comes up with something comical following the latest crisis.

Doubt many on here will agree but there you go.
I agree, although isn't the best black humour that which makes light of one's own woes, or at least of one's friends? It seems to me that sick jokes are different, and often more about being needlessly vile about faceless or unknown people.

I agree, although isn't the best black humour that which makes light of one's own woes, or at least of one's friends? It seems to me that sick jokes are different, and often more about being needlessly vile about faceless or unknown people.
OK then, I like sick jokes and black humour about anybody and anything.

Dark humour is my favourite kind, but the distinction between dark humour and malice is the intent behind the joke.
If it's to get a cheap laugh at the expense of those less fortunate than yourself (punching down), then it's not good.

Most of the best comedians tell appallingly outrageous and subversive jokes, but always with a nod and a wink to the audience.
To paraphrase Frankie Boyle talking about an audience member's reaction: "Is he serious? Is that comedian, up on stage, at this comedy festival? Is he being serious?"

That style of comedy works because you laugh, then you feel bad at about laughing at it, then you laugh at yourself for feeling bad.

As for finding humour in bad times, I think that's probably an innate coping mechanism to most humans.

Top Bottom