Things you wish you'd said or done...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
...and yet clearly you're not *really* ignoring him as you keep posting things directed at him. :biggrin::tongue:

OP
OP
T
Sh4rkyBloke said:
...and yet clearly you're not *really* ignoring him as you keep posting things directed at him. :biggrin::tongue:

Well, not answering any of his posts on my topics didn't work, so I thought I'd take a more direct approach. It's probably not working either, but I'm enjoying being patronising to him, and I'm not reading his posts, but he keeps on posting them, so it's a Win-Win.

Ah, the miracle of the internet. What a waste of electrons....

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The way round 'thinking of a snappy response too late' syndrome is to think of the response in advance: one size pretty much fits all where bad driving is concerned.

Personally I'm not a fan of the insult approach as, if it works at all, it winds them up and probably results in them driving even more aggressively.

My favourite approach is:

"Couple of words of advice ... First, if you're going to cut up a cyclist, make sure it's not an off-duty police officer. Second, make sure they don't have a video camera running. Keep an eye on your letterbox." Then cheerfully cycle off.

The beauty of it is (a) you don't actually require a video camera so long as you have something on your bike (light, GPS, whatever) that could conceivably be one and (:tongue: you haven't actually lied to them, merely given them some good advice.

Hopefully that will worry them sufficiently that they'll drive more carefully for a week or two at least.

Ben

domtyler

Über Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
...and yet clearly you're not *really* ignoring him as you keep posting things directed at him. :blush:;)

:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

He loves me:
Twenty Inch said:
Aw Dom, you're on my ignore list. But thanks for posting anyway, petal.

He loves me not:
Twenty Inch said:
Dom, flower, you're on my ignore list. Perhaps someone else will quote you in their reply.

He loves me:
Twenty Inch said:
Dom, sweetie, you're on my ignore list. Sorry pal.

He loves me not:
Twenty Inch said:
Well, not answering any of his posts on my topics didn't work, so I thought I'd take a more direct approach. It's probably not working either, but I'm enjoying being patronising to him, and I'm not reading his posts, but he keeps on posting them, so it's a Win-Win.

Ah, the miracle of the internet. What a waste of electrons....

Come on 20", fess up, if I was on your ignore list you wouldn't only respond to the posts where I have quoted you! :biggrin::biggrin:

The thing I wish I'd done is learnt to chill a few years before I did.

I never got into trouble for putting my foot through a coach panel (I didn't know it was fibreglass), nor for kicking the wing mirror off a chauffeur driven jag that tried pulling out into my path. I didn't even get told off for trying to pull a driver out of his car through the window using his tie and shirt front for a grip but when I look back, I'm not proud.

I probably upset quite a few people by banging on their cars. And getting off my bike to urge a more mature gent than I to get out of his car for a square go probably distressed him.

And what was the sum of my efforts? Just a gnawing sense of shame once I thought about how I'd feel if someone did the same to my mum, dad, wife or brothers.

Now I just try to anticipate what is going to happen better, and safe in the knowledge that everyone else on the road is bound to be a w@nker ('cos hey, they're not me and I'm probably the only perfect road user in my own opinion - just like everyone else is in theirs) I just let it wash over me with only an occasional shouted swear word.

Ben Lovejoy said:
The way round 'thinking of a snappy response too late' syndrome is to think of the response in advance: one size pretty much fits all where bad driving is concerned.

Personally I'm not a fan of the insult approach as, if it works at all, it winds them up and probably results in them driving even more aggressively.

My favourite approach is:

"Couple of words of advice ... First, if you're going to cut up a cyclist, make sure it's not an off-duty police officer. Second, make sure they don't have a video camera running. Keep an eye on your letterbox." Then cheerfully cycle off.

The beauty of it is (a) you don't actually require a video camera so long as you have something on your bike (light, GPS, whatever) that could conceivably be one and (:wacko: you haven't actually lied to them, merely given them some good advice.

Hopefully that will worry them sufficiently that they'll drive more carefully for a week or two at least.

Ben

Very good.:biggrin:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
I can vouch for Economic Skips being a bunch of thugs, they have a depot less than 1/2 a mile from my house and they insist on throwing their lorries around in what is residential area.

When i used to work for Lewisham's bins department we used to dump at their yard. Biggest bunch of nutters ever, the way they used to drive through those streets up to their yar, right by a school as well!

Nearly got killed by a FOB Yardie that was operating the claw there once, we had had a barney the day before, so he dropped a washing machine from 40 feet up about 5 inches to the side of me. scared the living daylights. i apologised quick!

Top Bottom