Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Which 'Brain of Britain' thought it would be a good idea to cut a big hole in the side of this house?!
wacko.gif

Kitchens can be smelly, steamy places so the thing to do would be to ensure adequate ventilation, right?

They cut a hole about 20 cm x 15 cm through the kitchen wall, put an airbrick on the outside and a poxy plastic sliding grille on the inside. When the grille is open on a cold day there is a freezing draught through it. When the grille is closed on a cold day there is STILL a freezing draught through it!

This is my 5th winter in the house and I finally snapped. I took the grille off and discovered that the culprits had already concluded that the vent was a mistake. They had partially blocked the hole with old plastic carrier bags. The evil bitter draught was what was managing to get through the small gaps left!

I got a load of old bubble wrap and pushed as much into the hole as I could and then used duct tape to hold it all in place and seal the hole. I then put the grille back for cosmetic purposes.

Result? No bloody freezing draught!

If/when I want to ventilate the kitchen I can simply open the window or door...

I've already bought a Galaxy Tab A (2019). You can stop showing me the ads now...
2 weeks on, I'm still getting them... Sometimes, the same ad repeated 3, 4, 5 times on the same page! :cursing:

D

Deleted member 26715

Which 'Brain of Britain' thought it would be a good idea to cut a big hole in the side of this house?! View attachment 565963
We have what used to be a hall cupboard, but now as 'somebody' took a wall down it's in the corner of the lounge, however whenever you open the door in winter it's always freezing in there. On the outside wall it had wood panelling, I had always assumed over block work, until the other day when we removed the wood to replace it with plastic cladding, there was no block work behind it, there was a 4" gap to the plasterboard of the inside of the cupboard. Which explains why it was so cold, filled the gap up with insulation before the cladding, much warmer now when you open the cupboard.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I wish I could find a non-patronising way to say :

Using punctuation (and not just double question marks) to break up your multi-page close-typed one paragraph document would : -
  1. make it look less like an incoherent rant;
  2. save you money paying for my time;
  3. make it far easier for everyone to read;
  4. make it far more likely that people reading it will understand what you are saying;
  5. make it far more likely that the best bits will shine out; and
  6. make it far more likely that you will succeed with your arguments.

gbb

Legendary Member
'How very rude ?'

To someone who cuts right into a conversation and derails it. I have 2 colleagues that do it frequently, not just to me either,. It's either a bad habit or they think of something and it just has to come out of their mouth there and then. Either way, its rude....but in the interest of friendly work relations, we let these things go.

gbb

Legendary Member
You utterly contemptible bunch of ...(insert the very worst expletive of your choice)

I'm actually seething for my wife. Their school has been handed over to an academy. Theyve come in a announced a restructure so severe it'll halve the number of teaching assistants.
Fair enough, if they think they can make it work...but almost the entire TA staff...and a good few teachers are apoplectic at the severity of the cuts, they just dont see how they can safely staff highly vulnerable kids with complex needs and behaviour. Most of the TA staff have applied for voluntary redundancy, it's just not going to be safe there with those levels of cuts.
Today was the day they were to be individually told if they were to be made redundant or have to reapply for their job. Theyve been knowing this day has been coming for 3 months, imagine how they felt going to work expecting maybe the worst outcome today...and waiting all day.
They sent them home without any news or update, nothing.
Contemptible, utter ...I'll stop, I get very sweaty in real life.

gbb

Legendary Member
C'mon mate, what DO you want ?
You're complaining endlessly and vigorously (quite rightly) about peoples poor behaviour at work (lack of self discipline at social distancing etc)...and then moan your local supermarket wouldnt let you In with your wife to do some shopping.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I wish I could find a non-patronising way to say :

Using punctuation (and not just double question marks) to break up your multi-page close-typed one paragraph document would : -
  1. make it look less like an incoherent rant;
  2. save you money paying for my time;
  3. make it far easier for everyone to read;
  4. make it far more likely that people reading it will understand what you are saying;
  5. make it far more likely that the best bits will shine out; and
  6. make it far more likely that you will succeed with your arguments.
Or to put it another way,

1. Greatly improve its chances of fulfilling its objectives

Unfortunately I know of no non-patronising way.

gbb

Legendary Member
Really ?, its madness, just stupid !!!!
We have 35 fixed tasks to complete each month, each with a SOP and a risk assessment, that's 70 documents.
8 staff members to be trained.
Each document needs to be signed by the recipient then signed off again for competency within a few weeks.

If I did two sign offs (training and competency) on each document, that's 70x2x8....that's over 1100 signatures...to train staff to conduct 35 tasks.
Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. No wonder we struggle to get anything (useful) done.

As it is we have compromised and cut 1/4 out. None if that included the hours, days and weeks I've spent creating SOPs and risk assessments. Then they have to be reviewed every year...

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
When we matched on tinder my heart skipped a beat, and it still does each time we message.

I'll be a quivvering wreck when we manage our first cycle/cake date, but just know it's because I don't want to fvck "us" up.

:wub:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When we matched on tinder my heart skipped a beat, and it still does each time we message.

I'll be a quivvering wreck when we manage our first cycle/cake date, but just know it's because I don't want to fvck "us" up.

:wub:
And only once you have sent their 'air fare' do you discover that (s)he is really a gang of scamming teenage boys in a cybercafe in Lagos...:laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Microsoft - when adding new features as part of an update, use a pop-up box to ask if the user would like them shown. Don't just install them and leave us to work out how to switch them off (News and interests in the Taskbar in this case - right click and click on "Turn off").
Got caught by that one yesterday. Took me half an hour to find out how to disable it. :angry:

Top Bottom