Things you've had stolen from a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A polite note was left on my bike while parked outside Sainsbury's from a 'fellow cyclist' warning me that he/she had had lights and a basket stolen while parked in the same place.

Unpleasant theft, particularly the lights, because that could lead to the cyclist riding home unlit.

But the note got me thinking about things stolen from bicycles.

I've never been a victim, but I did see a cyclist in London walking his bike without a front wheel, which he told me had been nicked.

What have you had stolen from your bike?

Drago

Legendary Member
Luckily, nothing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A polite note was left on my bike while parked outside Sainsbury's from a 'fellow cyclist' warning me that he/she had had lights and a basket stolen while parked in the same place.
Could they be trying to scare you into using another parking place where they can steal bikes in solitude more easily?

I don't remember having anything stolen from my bikes yet, but I don't leave much on them that's not bolted on.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Lights and a pump, many years back when I was at college in Tower Hamlets. Made worse because it had started snowing heavily before I left and gave me an interesting part ride, part push, journey home to Forest Gate.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Could they be trying to scare you into using another parking place where they can steal bikes in solitude more easily?

I don't remember having anything stolen from my bikes yet, but I don't leave much on them that's not bolted on.

My bike had a trunk bag and clip on lights - all easily removable - so that's what caused the note.

I needed the trunk bag for the shopping, but it did cross my mind to remove the lights before setting out.

Back - almost - on topic I saw a woman in Glasshouse Street, central London, years ago struggling to start her parked 125cc motorbike.

Turned out someone had nicked the kickstarter, so I jump started it for her.

Bodhbh

Guru
Had a frame pump pinched from the bike in a hostel lock-up. It was a £35 quid Top Peak Mountain Morph with a pressure gauge, so I wasn't amused. Him/her/them also pinched the frame bracket for the pump and a couple of luggage straps wrapped round the frame. I guess they figured it was all better off attached to their frame instead of mine.

Had a couple of water bottles pinched while it was locked outside a pub too. Either very sad person or kids arsing about.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nothing, other than a whole bike and everything that was on it :wacko:

I always remove lights, Garmin, rack bag etc even if leaving briefly. I do sometimes leave a bottle attached, never lost one yet. Light and Garmin mounts stay on...losing the former would be a pita, the latter an annoyance

Tangoup51

Nothing at all. I tend to put all my valuables on a waterbottle, and then its just a case of the front and rear light.
And the garmin..
And the phone.
And then the pump

... then my backup front light.

Interestingly though, I locked up my bike in Leicester and noticed this bike on the other side of the rack, had all his stem bolts packed with what looked like 6mm plastic bb gun bearings hammered in the head. Clever. Would suck to get a mechanical though.

oh and backup rear light.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My sister in law had her helmet nicked from her bike while it was parked in a supposedly locked garage at a bed and breakfast.

She was doing the C2C, and in theory no one else had been in the garage other than other cyclists.

There's a chance someone picked up her helmet by mistake, although I don't recall her saying there were any other helmets left lying around.

Top Bottom