Think I might be one of those cyclists ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
... that's not really a cyclist :sad:

Started last summer, and after getting my road bike in August I reckon I've cycled about 1000 miles. 150 of them probably in the last 3 months.

Bit pathetic!!!!

I'm just busy at work and don't feel I've got anything more in the tank. The commute is 15 miles minimum which puts me off when I'm not feeling particularly energetic, which means I end up avoiding it. I get to the weekend and it's all about the golf on Saturday then lying about recovering from the week.

Thing is, when I'm out on the bike I love it, but then getting the drive to actually go out on it is what is missing.

Part of me is thinking of jacking it in and punting the bike, part of me is thinking I would go out on a hybrid more, part of me thinks I'm just lazy and need to find more strength!!!

:wacko:

Tin Pot

Guru
Cycle when you want, don't when you don't.

"Simples."

I used to golf regularly, now I play only when I want to.

Hobbies are things you choose to do, they do not define you.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
... that's not really a cyclist :sad:

Started last summer, and after getting my road bike in August I reckon I've cycled about 1000 miles. 150 of them probably in the last 3 months.

Bit pathetic!!!!

I'm just busy at work and don't feel I've got anything more in the tank. The commute is 15 miles minimum which puts me off when I'm not feeling particularly energetic, which means I end up avoiding it. I get to the weekend and it's all about the golf on Saturday then lying about recovering from the week.

Thing is, when I'm out on the bike I love it, but then getting the drive to actually go out on it is what is missing.

Part of me is thinking of jacking it in and punting the bike, part of me is thinking I would go out on a hybrid more, part of me thinks I'm just lazy and need to find more strength!!!

:wacko:

Apart from the jacking it in thing that's me to a tee.

I don't work much at all these days -about 800 hours a year and not at all for 12 weeks but I still find it hard to fit much cycling in.

Like you, It's great when I get out and it's great when I get on a roll ie regular rides each week but I am easily derailed by bad weather and 'other stuff'. I become apathetic and find excuses not to go out.

I aim for 2000 miles a year. For 'proper' cyclists this is a low mileage but to the majority of the non-cycling fraternity that is a huge distance. Just have a read in the Beginners section to see how many struggle with a first ride of 1 or 2 miles.

At a basic level cycling just does not grab me - on a nice fine sunny day it's brilliant but at other times it can be a monotonous slog.

Not knocking the high-mileage guys/girls and each to their own but how anyone can ride 30/40/50/60 etc miles day after day is beyond me - I have no doubt if I wanted to I could physically build up to that but ultimately it would be bore-athon central, just mind-numbing. Guy in our village does 200+ miles week in week out all weathers - he loves it but to me it seems mindless; bit like a Hamster in a wheel.

Just carry on doing what you do - it's exercise and is better than none. Unless you have other forms of exercise that are more interesting I'd stick with it and see how it goes. NB: new bike will make no difference whatsoever!.

Not worth fretting over tbh.

Last edited:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I dont do loads of mileage any more as i no longer commute by bike. Im also more of a fair weather roadie if im at home only really cycling between Easter and November but i will use the hybrid year round for local trips to town , friends or the pub.

A cyclist is someone on a bike turning the pedals going from A to B, something they may do once a year or 365 times a year.

jnrmczip

Take it as an adventure and a way to see new places pick different points on the map you would like to see get the train there cycle home or cycle there get the train home. Keep it interesting and not repetitive. Try cycling with someone else could help keep you interested

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sometimes it's easier just to keep plugging away because it can become easy to keep making excuses not to go out and, before long, find you have way more days off than days cycling.

I basically use cycling as a means to get several hours out in the fresh air and maintain a reasonable level of fitness and try and stave off the inevitable aging process of the human body! There are loads of days I just find it really hard going, but nearly always feel better for it.

I don't feel guilty at taking a few days off, especially during a bad spell of weather which looks like the next two days!

Booyaa

Veteran
Cycle when you want, don't when you don't.

"Simples."

I used to golf regularly, now I play only when I want to.

Hobbies are things you choose to do, they do not define you.
I think we have crossed paths before. You mentioning golf almost totally confirms it. Odd. Were you a member of a golf forum that went to the great forum in the sky?

CC2014, you've cycled more than me recently and as Tin Pot said, do it when you feel like it, don't get rid of the bike though or you will regret it.

Tin Pot

Guru
I think we have crossed paths before. You mentioning golf almost totally confirms it. Odd. Were you a member of a golf forum that went to the great forum in the sky?

Yup. I still reckon trying to get around with only an eight iron is a great way to break 100 :biggrin:

Doobiesis

Über Member
80% of cycling effort is getting out the front door.

I do it in baby steps sometimes like, oh I'll just go down the road and back. But once out its fine :smile:

My mileage is plummeting to. I've moved from 6.5 miles from work to 3.5 miles away - it just barely seems worth it, so I've actually taken to running in instead.

My cycling mileage is going to be very low - but in some ways it makes those chances you get to get out on the bike for a proper ride that bit more special...

Top Bottom