Think I've just done something very stupid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew1971

Veteran
You will love it. If you can make a single speed fly what will you be like with gears

3narf

For whom the bell dings
The climbs are just about my favourite bits on 'Aryton!'

That and accelerating away from the lights.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No, big mistake. Single speed is neither one thing nor the other; should have got a fixie !

More seriously 5 years ago I, a middle aged pretty unfit bloke, living in Bristol which is pretty hilly, bought a quite expensive fixie - and absolutely loved it for daily commuting and some rather longer runs once I got fit.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Why am I eternally drawn to fixed gear bikes by threads like this? I am sure I will hate it but the attraction is still there.....
Because it frees your mind.

Stand up out of the saddle, sit down on the saddle, or walk, Those are the only decisions you need to make with respect to 'gearing'.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Singlespeeds are addictive, and more versatile that you'd think. I've been touring on mine.
Although an offroad SS is a bit batshit mental IMHO.
*envies*

OP
OP
DRHysted

DRHysted

Guru
Singlespeeds are addictive, and more versatile that you'd think. I've been touring on mine.
Although an offroad SS is a bit batshit mental IMHO.
*envies*

Batshit crazy sums up what people at work think of me. They just didn't understand me doing a 40 miles cycle ride in when I live 8.5 miles away. Now they think I've taken it to another level when I started running a 10 mile route then doing a 12 hour shift before cycling (the short route) home.

Thinking about it this bike might just suit me perfectly

Reactions: 4F

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A 40 mile ride for an 8,5 mile trip? You're either very committed, or really crap at mapreading!!
I regularly took 30 miles for a 9 mile commute, but that's a whole new level of fun.
Or navigational incompetence.:okay:

nuovo_record

I built a single speed out of bits I had, and as soon as I rode it I thought " why didn't do this sooner in my life". I like me Denti with 18 gears, but a single is bliss. I now have a airborne blackbird frame which I am also going to build as a single speed

I bought a day one disc on sale. Love it and live in a hilly area. I can spin out on the flats but the hearing means I can take on some steep steep hills. Seriously good fun when you reach the top on a single speed bike

Top Bottom