Think I've just done something very stupid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I'm not claiming fixed is better overall and wouldn't want to just have a fixie, though my proper geared bike has languish in pieces for the 4 years since I got the fixie, but that's just procrastination.

Just because I struggle to describe in words the niceness of riding a fixie, doesn't mean it isn't tangible. I fully acknowledge this might not be valued by others - who naturally enough would prefer a freewheel and gears. Personally if I was to sacrifice the fixie benefit I'd want gears rather than have the worst of both worlds of single speed as it were. Fixieness clealry has a considerable disbenefit of having to pedal like buggery down hill for a start, as well as the lack of gears shared with a ss.

Not sure what a good analogy might be in another field. Maybe a musical instrument - my professional standard "new" french horn (40 years old 2nd hand) is objectively easier to play and gives a better sound - but it's also "nicer" to play - which I'd be hard pushed to describe properly

This is fun! I enjoy debates like this.

I agree, riding a fixed gear bike is completely different to riding with gears, and that dichotomy of experience can sharpen the mind and enrich the cycling palette.

I will say, though, in contrast to what you said at the beginning about your fixed gear bike, if I could only own one bike it would be a freewheel singlespeed.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This is fun! I enjoy debates like this.

I agree, riding a fixed gear bike is completely different to riding with gears, and that dichotomy of experience can sharpen the mind and enrich the cycling palette.

I will say, though, in contrast to what you said at the beginning about your fixed gear bike, if I could only own one bike it would be a freewheel singlespeed.

There was a nice comment from a chap on a hi-fi forum (one of the better ones), where someone was explaining that "stereo imaging" ( ie position of various instrument) was a real effect you could hear, as indeed you can. The person being explained-to replied that he could indeed hear it quite clearly, but it simply didn't interest him as part of the musical experience. Different, perfectly valid, factors are valued differently by different people - over and above the obvious ones of weight, speed etc. But even then stabiltiy and luggage capacity would be valued above lightness by some bit not others

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I've fancied a single speed for ages but its too hilly around here. I'd still like to give it a try though
Give it a go, you'll be surprised how natural it feels and how soon your legs acclimatise.

I lived in the Peak District until very recently; and although I never took it up Winnats Pass (I did ride it down), I did some fairly sharp climbs on it.

cuberider

Über Member
Give it a go, you'll be surprised how natural it feels and how soon your legs acclimatise.

I lived in the Peak District until very recently; and although I never took it up Winnats Pass (I did ride it down), I did some fairly sharp climbs on it.

I've already been informed that the next addition to the garage will be for the wife if/when she is brave enough to try a road bike :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've already been informed that the next addition to the garage will be for the wife if/when she is brave enough to try a road bike :rolleyes:
Do not keep the wife in the garage, no matter how many bikes you get :P
I did an 80km loop up into the Peak District recently on my ss without any real problems
But the devil's in the detail: what gear?

But anyway, SS is just for people who think 3S still means too many decisions ;)

But the devil's in the detail: what gear?
72" 46x17 in old money
But anyway, SS is just for people who think 3S still means too many decisions ;)
3 speed is for pussies! :laugh:

OP
OP
DRHysted

DRHysted

Guru
Well here she is without attachments
day one1.JPG

Here she is ready to go.

day one2.JPG

I haven't tried her yet, but she'll probably need the stem slammed as the handle bars are 5 cm higher than the Allez.
On another note is there a technique to getting the rear wheel off and on, I spent over 1/2 an hour faffing with it after removing it to fit the rear mudguard.

Tomorrow she will not look so clean!!

U

User19783

So how do the handle bars feel?
Unfortunately, I had a similar pair on my old On One pom ss, I had to change them, as there were too wide, when I was on the drops.
Otherwise, I really like your bike.

Top Bottom