Think I've made a mistake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
I have recently bought a my new bike off a friend at a reasonable price, a lovely BMC street racer 2011, immaculate condition and really well looked after the problem is I thought I would get away with the size, its a 57" frame but i'm only 5'9" with a 31" instem.
I took it for a few test runs and found it comfy but I was comparing it to my old Steely that was also way too big for me.
Since then I have done about 1000miles on it but there are a few underlying issues, first my reach is too far but bearable, although I do get real numb hands, it currently has a 110mm stem and was thinking about shortening that to about 60mm, secondly I have started to get a pain at the back on my knee (only on one leg) which is probably down to me not sitting far enough forward (although the seat is as far forward as it can go).
So I'm thinking I might have to sell it (although I really love riding it) and possibly get a 54" frame.
The lesson learnt here is get a bike that fit's, you just won't be happy in the long run!

PS:biggrin:oes anyone know if there are any website where people would swap/part ex bikes at a reasonable price as a really dont want to lose too much money, other than that possibly ebay?

57 inch :eek: it must be Mahoosive; 54 inch isn't much smaller :ohmy:

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
Its just on the limit if not just a tad too big, might swap out the stem before doing anything drastic :ohmy:

My bikes tend to be 'too big' for me according to the norm, but I like them that way. There's too big and there's too big.

I wouldn't necessarily think about changing anything until you've got comfortable. There are many methods; I do the following:

1. Set the saddle height using any of a number of methods. I generally work off the heel of my foot on the pedal with a straight leg and the pedal down.

2. Set fore-aft of saddle. I usually drop a plumbline (socket on a string) from under my kneecap with the crank parallel to the ground and the pedal forward. I want the plumbline to pass alongside the centre of the fulcrum of the pedal.

3. Handlebar height and stem length. This will depend on you, on how you want to ride and on what works.

If you can get all those positions right and you like the result, you can keep the frame, stem and cranks and all the other gubbins as they are.

There are so many variables and so many possible adjustments on a bicycle that you can easily put one thing out by getting another right. Do not expect to get it bang-on the first time. You may be tweaking anfd adjusting things a little bit this way or that for a week or so.

At a guess, I'd say a 57cm frame is on the big side for someone who stands 5'9", but it may still be an enjoyable ride if you set it up the way you like it.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
@Boris Bajic I set my bike up in the same way as you, height is perfect but re: step 2 plumb bob over knee pad this is where I feel its a little too big, with the seat as far forward as I can get it the plumb bob comes just about to the ball of my foot but i've got a slightly dodgy right leg that is a bit shorter with a smaller foot (nemo) (where I'm getting the pain) it could almost do with it being moved 10mm further forward which is unachievable.

sidevalve

Über Member
I'd try the shorter stem for what it costs but oddly try mving the saddle backwards a tad [I know it sounds odd but it may work].

Nick Stone

What's the name of the website that shows you bike fit etc, I know there's some stuff on YouTube but can't remember the name sorry, maybe someone else can, you pop in certain measurements and gives you optimum size etc.

Don't know if that's help or hindrance

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member

simon.r

Person
@Boris Bajic I set my bike up in the same way as you, height is perfect but re: step 2 plumb bob over knee pad this is where I feel its a little too big, with the seat as far forward as I can get it the plumb bob comes just about to the ball of my foot but i've got a slightly dodgy right leg that is a bit shorter with a smaller foot (nemo) (where I'm getting the pain) it could almost do with it being moved 10mm further forward which is unachievable.

You can get 'lay-forward' seat posts:

014.JPG

jay clock

Massive member
I have a BMC RAcemaster SLX01 I love and am the same height as you and leg same too. My 54cm is perfect and the 57 woould be huge.

I have just bought a Focus Izalco Pro, so the BMC is up for sale. Been serviced and new bar tape. Full Ultegra inc wheels, compact chain set, excellent condition. PM me if any interest

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The heel on pedal is just a guide and you can be just above or below that, try dropping the seat a few mm and see if it helps.
Imho the bike sounds to big but if you want to persevere with it it might be worth talking to your LBS for their advice .

Ningishzidda

I have a 54cm SWorks. Perfect fit according to Lemond.
I have a 57cm Peugeot PX10. Perfect fit according to Eddy.

OP. Stand over it with your shoes on, on your heels. Do your bits rest on the top tube?

When I stand over the Pug wearing a pair of shoes with plates, I stand on the front section of the shoes' soles ( the part with the plates ) to get the correct clearance.
That bike has a 12cm stem. Its quite stretched out but I've ridden a fair few 200 Audaxes on it.

The SWorks toptube length is 549, and the Pug's is 565. Its 15 mm longer to the bars.
I've opened my datasheet on my bikes.
S/O height SWorks is 30.75", S/O height Pug 31.75.
Seat angle SWorks 73.5. Pug 74
Seat height SWorks 28.25. Pug 28.25

BTW, I'm 5'9" with 32" Leg Length.

FWIW, I'm 5 foot 9 and a 1/4 (that 1/4 counts :rolleyes:) and a former lbs fit for me was a 56cm this was backed up by an online fit. I ride 54, 55 & 56cm bikes. The 54cm needs a slightly longer stem if I ever get round to it I just clip the bars with my knees in sprints, its almost perfect in every other way sitting down (very comfortable). The 55cm feels the best but that's probably because its the best bike. The next size up for the 54 and 55cm was 57cm and the lbs's advised against it. The 56cm feels the most efficient but its on my heavy steel fixie so doesn't compare performance wise. The next size up for the 56cm fixie was 59cm, the bso shop actually advised it :eek: thankfully I thought otherwise.

Cyclist33

Get a seatpost with zero setback!

Top Bottom