Thinking about a Carradice Barley or Pendle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Now the cooler and wet weather is upon us, I'm thinking of increasing my luggage space for Audax rides which at the moment are only 100-200km rides although next year I want to do some 300s. I also do occasional night rides.

In particular I'm thinking of the Carradice Barley at 9l or Pendle at 11l.

I want to keep my rear rack (Tubus Vega Evo) as I also use panniers (not at the same time) and more importantly I have my rear Dyno light bolted to it. I have a small frame and there is about 17cm clearance from the saddle loops (?) on my Brooks C17.

Any thoughts from the wise?

Last edited:
I don't know what people see in Carradice. It is made from inappropriate materials, the workmanship is sloppy, the whole thing is floppy and iffy. We've moved on the WWII, Morgans and MGs and army surplus goods.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Carradice work well with a rack,

002.JPG

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I really, really hate it when people ignore the OP, and go off on one suggesting that they do something entirely different.

But I'm going to do it anyway ;) ....

I have a Barley but I never really got on with it. Sure it has a nice retro look, but I found it a right fiddle to open and get at the things inside. So what I have now is an Altura rack pack. The things inside are much more accessible.

PM me if you want to buy one cheap and don't mind dealing with an old git who doesn't do paypal.

Hah! Good post. I've PMd you. (I think!)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If you find the "originals" buckles fiddly, the Super C Audax is essentially a Barley with fastex buckles.

I get on well with Carradice, and have a low saddle longflap and a Super C Audax, both of which I'd happily recommend to anyone wanting a well situated, stylish load carrying solution. The Audax/Barley should be a good choice - you can always strap excess load to the D rings on the flap if you don't have room inside.

Saddle clearance sounds similar to that on my Surly, and should be fine for a Barley. As for the Pendle, it will depend on whether it's wider or deeper to provide the extra capacity.

alicat

Legendary Member
I don't know what people see in Carradice. It is made from inappropriate materials, the workmanship is sloppy, the whole thing is floppy and iffy.

I disagree @Yellow Saddle. I went skidding along the road on Sunday and my Carradice bag roll (I forget its original name) took the brunt at the point where the dowelling rod meets the side and probably saved the skin on my hips. The Carradice is still good for use and the added character suits it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've made the comparison before between a Carradice saddlebag and owning a pet.

Basically German products do what you want. They are well made and efficient. My Ortleib panniers, SON hub, Rohloff Hub, B&M lights are all class leaders.

My Brooks saddle requires tweaking and proofing, it doesn't work out of the box, it needs love and care (but will reward you, just like a Labrador Puppy).

Carradice Saddlebags sort of work out of the box but can be improved by spending more money on wire support racks or maybe a short length of broom handle wedged between bag and seat-post.

The german designers must look with on with dispair at how Brooks and Carradice get away with it.

Imagine buying a SON Dynamo that could be improved with the addition of a bit of broom handle.
(Lee on yacf)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As the above post...
I've had my Pendle for about 3 years, still a young baby compared to alot of Carradice owners bags, but I feel like it's not just any old bag. It's MY bag.
Made by "Emma", the bloody thing has never once sat straight and it's contents are forever moving about. The buckles can be a pain to open and close with cold hands and when open, constantly rattle. I'm constantly tweaking it's position for the best fit and so far I've bodged the bag with some broom handle to stiffen the bottom, used corex board to stiffen it and tried using thicker dowel to take up the slack in the saddle loop straps...the leather just stretched again. I've also modded both the standard uplift and the bagman to better carry it. I've yet to be 100% happy with any modification I've made. Yet I wouldn't change it for any other bag even if it fitted perfectly.
It's a bit like my bike. It's no longer an off the shelf clone like so many others. It has history with me.
Yer polyester and nylon quick released zip up german crap doesnt have that.
Fwiw I went with the Pendle for it's extra volume...and I have indeed used it all up a few times.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have a Pendle and Super C Audax, Both of them have served me well. I originally bought the pendle first but that was a little too big for my liking so i bought the Super C which has been with me for quite a few of my long distance rides.

Top Bottom