Thinking about a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
My current bike is two years old and as it has starting to squeak and click. If I rock the pedals while free wheeling I can hear a squeak but I don't know if it is the pedals or bottom bracket and then for at least the last 60 minutes of my ride at the weekend, I had to put up with a click nearly every time my right pedal went past 6pm.

I also sometimes get back ache and I heard someone say recently that they were the same until they switch to another make recently and now they don't suffer from it any more.

Now, I know what your thinking, it would be cheaper to get those things fixed but I'm a man doing "man maths" here and fixing things doesn't give shinny things :rolleyes:

I was looking at the Trek Madone 2.1 at the weekend (currently have a 2013 Specialized Elite) and for what you get, it looks quite decent for £900. Alu frame, Shimano 11speed 105 except for chainset and brakes, some internal cable routing etc. I don't have room for two bikes (man card may have gone there) so I would obviously hope to get a couple of hundred for my current one bringing it down further.

I've also read that the geometry of the Trek is a mix between race and sportive so it sounds like it may help my back.

So I have a few questions:
  • I've seen some people say they don't like Trek bikes so is there any reason for that other than personal choice?
  • Does anyone have an opinion of the Madone 2.1?
  • Possibly the stupid question, do I need to be thinking about a new bike :smile:

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
You allways need to be thinking about a new bike!!
Cant help with anything else, looking forward to the pics

Citius

Get your current bike serviced (if you can't do it yourself). Also, at the risk of stating the obvious - switching to another make is absolutely no guarantee of curing your back ache, as I'm sure you must realise.

Spend the money on a service and a bike fit. By all means buy a new bike - but the reasons you are offering are not the right ones.

Can I also add - 'pedals' - not 'peddles'. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
sleaver

sleaver

Veteran
Also, at the risk of stating the obvious - switching to another make is absolutely no guarantee of curing your back ache, as I'm sure you must realise.
Agreed and it is a very expensive way of finding out. If it is better then great, if not, I'm back at square one. Of course, my current back wasn't there before my last ride, but it may not have been the rides fault.

but the reasons you are offering are not the right ones.
Again, agreed but I did say "man maths" :smile: Or is my reasoning worse than "man maths" ^_^

Can I also add - 'pedals' - not 'peddles'. :smile:
Fixed :smile:

I tried a Trek and a Spesh. I couldn't get comfy on the Trek. I went for the Spesh
I suppose it is all down to personal preference. I was saying to someone only the other day that while you can test ride them, a 5-10 minute test ride is nothing like a 2 hour plus ride and while it may seem fine after 10 minutes, after 2 hours it may be a different story.

Can you service bottom brackets, if it is that?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I tried a Trek and a Spesh. I couldn't get comfy on the Trek. I went for the Spesh
Conversely I tried a Spesh and a Trek and I couldn't get comfy on the Spesh so bought a Trek :smile:

To the OP there's nothing wrong with Trek (or Spesh), some people however are put off by the "mass market" vibe, others by the association with a certain infamous Texan....

Personally however I've come to believe that pretty much all of the mainstream manufacturers are taking the piss price and specification wise. The direct sellers like Planet X, Rose, Canyon etc are producing quality kit with better specs at a fraction of the price.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
So I have a few questions:
  • I've seen some people say they don't like Trek bikes so is there any reason for that other than personal choice? It's a Lance Armstrong thing
  • Does anyone have an opinion of the Madone 2.1? Not really
  • Possibly the stupid question, do I need to be thinking about a new bike :smile: I'd be questioning your commitment to being an upstanding member of CC if you didn't

OP
OP
sleaver

sleaver

Veteran
What model is that?

Just wondering if it is more 'sporty' than other bikes you may have had which may be causing back issues?
Knew I forgot a bit of the model. Its an Allez.

When I was buying last time I tried a Trek 1.5 and from memory, I can't remember it being uncomfortable. My problem is that I'm sometimes a bit of a "brand snob" and at the time it was my first bike since being a kid and thought Spesch were the more well known brand.

The thing with the Trek is that it is a black frame with a white saddle and bar tape which I can imagine won't stay white for long. Mind you, if I ever come across the same learner driver again as I did on Saturday, the saddle may turn a shade of brown :cursing:

vickster

Legendary Member
Madone is the more racy option. Domane more sportive

Back ache might be you (core strength, way you sit) as much as the bike (geometry, set up, fit)

If you want a new bike, rather than fixing re current one, go have some test rides, although doubtful a bike will feel completely right but you should get a sense

Personally I avoid specialized and trek nowadays as they are so common! Prefer something different, hence my UK brand stable

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
And so the title says, "Thinking about a new bike" - I am ALWAYS thinking about a new bike.

Top Bottom