Thinking about upgrading to a carbon bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

I started cycling last August and bought myself a Triban 3. Instantly I was hooked and I have a lot of plans for this year - training programmes, sportives and I am now thinking about cycling holidays. As much as I love the Triban, it was only ever intended to be an introductory bike to see if I did get addicted and now that I am, I'm starting to think about buying the carbon bike I was always going to buy for the spring time.

I went into my LBS today for something else and ended up drooling over the carbon bikes and chatting to one of the assistants about them. Both he and another worker in the shop recommended a Specialized Roubaix and saying that they both personally had one and how great it was. They only seem to sell Specialized, Focus and Trek so they were obviously not going to recommend a different brand but I have seen some very positive reviews for the Roubaix on here as well. He also said that for the £40 cost of carriage (which is refunded if you buy one), Specialized let you borrow one for the weekend which would just be great as I could really see if the bike is for me. Obviously they do test rides themselves but 20 mins in town is not the same as a weekend blasting around the country lanes, which is entirely where I cycle and what the bike would be used for.

I suppose the only thing holding me back is the fact that I still feel new to cycling and that my body is still adapting to it. I've noticed recently that I seem to be sitting further forward and supporting my weight with my core muscles rather than hunching on the handlebars. Another consideration is that I have lost 2 stone and want to and will lose another which might again affect my riding position. I don't want to spend a large amount of money to end up feeling that the bike isn't quite the right fit in the future. I suppose though that things can be tweaked e.g. stem size.

And it probably would be a lot of money if I'm honest. I kind of feel like it's "in for a penny in for a pound" . If I got the base Roubaix model it would be better than the Triban, after all it has a sora groupset, much better wheels and is much lighter just to start with. However the SL4 is a different ballgame with an even better frame, wheels and ultegra components. And I feel like if I'm going to get a new bike it really should feel a whole lot better and I want to feel like this it's the best bike that realistically I want or need. I realise there are bikes for 10k and more but unless I started doing competitions I don't think I would ever need or want one of those.

Any advice would be appreciated. :smile: Is it too soon? Should I get a cheaper carbon or even aluminium/titanium bike and look at ones that cost £2500+ when I'm a lot more experienced cyclist? Or just wait entirely?

All I would say is carbon is not an automatic upgrade, it's just a different material for frame building.

You can buy high quality frames in alu, Ti and steel, don't make the assumptive mistake that you have to buy carbon to get an upgraded 'better' bike.

Of course if that's what you want then fill your boots, just saying.

redcard

Veteran
Why not look at Focus or Canyon? You'll get a decent spec Ultegra for around the £1K mark. If I was in your position I don't think I'd be spending £2.5k just yet.

Ultegra, decent carbon frame, less than 9kg. Hit all those and you'll notice a big improvement over the Triban.

I don't think you can go far wrong comfort-wise if you went for a Roubaix. I have the Expert, and it's an excellent all-rounder.

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
I got back into bikes 6 months ago,lost 3 stone.
I bought an SL2 Roubaix,fitted all new Ultegra group set,promptly built an S Works Roubaix with Di2 DA,sold the SL2 to a guy on here.
Find a model you like,& get the best you can afford,you will only wind up spending more money later on.
Have also bought a couple of classics,there are now 6 bikes in the garage,& looking for a Peugeot PX10.
Addictive isn't it?

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

All I would say is carbon is not an automatic upgrade, it's just a different material for frame building.

You can buy high quality frames in alu, Ti and steel, don't make the assumptive mistake that you have to buy carbon to get an upgraded 'better' bike.

Of course if that's what you want then fill your boots, just saying.

Yeah I know that aluminium and titanium are good frame materials too. I would have thought Steel would be a lot heavier than carbon though?

It does seem like once you get out of the £2000 price range there isn't much in those materials though. For example on Evans cycles there are around 800 carbon bikes that are above that whilst there are 3 for titanium, aluminium and steel combined. I know that price isn't necessarily a guarantee of quality which is why I'm doing my research on components etc and whilst there are alu bikes with good components e.g. the giant defy with the 105, I haven't seen any yet that are at the level of the more expensive carbon bikes?

Plus I do kind of have my heart set on carbon if I'm honest.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've also been thinking about going carbon. I have been looking at the Carrera Virago from Halfrauds. Anyone know anything about this. The reviews seem pretty good on their site.

Can't afford it at the moment so still looking around.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Why not look at Focus or Canyon? You'll get a decent spec Ultegra for around the £1K mark. If I was in your position I don't think I'd be spending £2.5k just yet.

Ultegra, decent carbon frame, less than 9kg. Hit all those and you'll notice a big improvement over the Triban.

I don't think you can go far wrong comfort-wise if you went for a Roubaix. I have the Expert, and it's an excellent all-rounder.

Ultegra and a decent frame for around £1k sounds almost too good to be true! I'll have to do my research on those. Hopefully I could do some kind of extended test ride on those as well as comfort is quite important to me as I have a bad back and the roads round here are truly shocking. If the Roubaix was significantly more comfortable I'd probably still plump for one even if it was more expensive.

I got back into bikes 6 months ago,lost 3 stone.
I bought an SL2 Roubaix,fitted all new Ultegra group set,promptly built an S Works Roubaix with Di2 DA,sold the SL2 to a guy on here.
Find a model you like,& get the best you can afford,you will only wind up spending more money later on.
Have also bought a couple of classics,there are now 6 bikes in the garage,& looking for a Peugeot PX10.
Addictive isn't it?

That sounds exactly like how I'm going to be, I just know it! If I buy a cheaper end carbon bike I just know I'll keep lusting over the higher end ones just like I have since the day I bought the Triban. You are right it's so addictive. People think I'm not happy with the Triban because since I got it I've been window shopping for carbon but it's not that I don't love it, I just can't help it!

I do have the funds to get a higher end bike so I am quite tempted to do that and then my window shopping can be limited to filling the rest of my stable - I've already got a fixxie and a hybrid run about on the list to begin with!

Anyone know anything about this.
PM Dangermouse, he bought one, see HERE. I think he was selling it but not sure if he's changed his mind now.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Just having a look at Canyon and Focus now as redcard suggested. For £2800 from Canyon you can get an ultegra di2 weighing just 7.0kg. I don't know what the Specialized weighs as they don't say but I remember reading a review in Cycling plus of last years model and it was 8.7kg IIRC. That's a big difference:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3090

This is where I get lost though. All I can really go on is the groupset and the frame. I don't know enough about wheels and other things to really compare the bikes.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Ah ok, thanks again. So perhaps that is where some of the saving comes from them. How would they compare to the DT Axis 4.0 wheels that are on the Roubaix?

Edit: I don't want you to think i'm being lazy/taking advantage but I just really don't know. As they appear to be made by Specialized themselves they don't have an individual price and I don't really know enough about wheels to compare.

Top Bottom