thinking of buying a Brompton. need advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I am considering getting a Brompton, for commuting use.
I'm 6'2 so wanted to know what handle bar and seat combination to get. Also thinking of a dynamo. Anything I should be aware of? Also what gears to get. I've been reading about the issues with the derailleur

Sara_H

Guru
I've got an M type. I prefer a more upright riding position and find the M a bit low. My OH who is 6' 2" finds it far too low, so depending on your preference you might want to try an H type which is a bit higher.

I've got six speed with standard gearing which manages more or less everything - except the very big hill that I live on, going to change it to the lower gearing option - again it depends on your individual preference.

Matthames

Über Member
The best thing I can recommend is to get yourself to a Brompton dealer and try the difference between the M and the H type. Also you might want to consider either the long seat post or the telescopic one.

In terms of gearing, it depends on your own preference and the topography of where you are going to mostly ride it. I have a standard 6 speed which I can just about cope with going up all but the steepest of hills. I have not had any issues with the dérailleur, although you will find with the 6 speed that going through the gears is a bit counter intuitive to start with; but you will quickly get used to it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
M or H type bars and the telescopic seatpost. I'm 5'11, and I'm a fraction off full extension of the standard one.

I find the standard 3 speed fine for my undulating commute and general riding around. I run out of top gear for speed before I run out of climbing.

Apparently the SON dynamo is worth the extra but I didnt go for either type after a bit of consideration.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I own an S6-L - I'm around your height and find it fine (seatpost fully extended, pentaclip near the top of the post too).

The 6 speed's gearing goes pretty low - I've not found a hill it couldn't handle yet (otoh, I've not hurled it at Mow Cop, or anything). The derailleur is finicky, and ime, needs to be kept clean to work at its best.

Do get a luggage block, and if you can, a bag - I have the C-Bag, and it's a brilliant way to carry luggage. Don't be tempted to get one without mudguards - the bike is so low to the ground that it gets really dirty - I dread to think what the state of mine would be without them.

In hindsight, I sort of wish I'd got a rack (more for the ease of wheeling the bike around than for luggage), and sprung for a Racing Green one, but hey ho.

Oh yes, as others have said, go to a dealer and try some. I bought mine from Harry Hall, and they were brilliant about letting me try the bike out, do some test folds in the shop &c :smile:

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If the local dealer does a hire/trial then I'd do that. I spent £40 on hire for the day when I was looking at getting mine. Well worth it in terms of trying out the gears, etc. The £40 was refunded off the price of the bike when I bought.

I think mine are the M-bars - it's possible to slightly adjust them so they're angled towards the rider. I did that and am happy with the reach.

As @John the Monkey says the bags are great. You can even leave them on when you fold the bike. And I did get Racing Green :smile:

RhythMick

Über Member
I am considering getting a Brompton, for commuting use.
I'm 6'2 so wanted to know what handle bar and seat combination to get. Also thinking of a dynamo. Anything I should be aware of? Also what gears to get. I've been reading about the issues with the derailleur
A month ago I bought an M6L with £75 of from Evans with the Shimano dynamo kit. Superb, no regrets. I'm 5 11 and the seatpost is JUST big enough. If I had to go bigger if go telescopic. The 6 speed is plenty of gearing for the worst of the Yorkshire hills.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm 6' 2" and ride an S type with the low flat bars. I like the riding position and it's a fine bike, though it does speed wobble above 45mph with a loaded bag on the front! I got the telescopic post to make it fit properly as I've owned B's before and the stock post is just a tadge too short for me.

Mines got a Kinetics 8 speed SA conversion and you can ride it up walls.

Ger a luggage block and a bag. I've had a B with a rack before and didn't feel the need of one on this, I just use a messenger bag as additional luggage.

I ditched the stock pedals and got some Wellgo QRD removable ones (Clas Olhson are selling them off dead cheap at present) so I can swap from flats to SPD's as the fancy takes. I also replaced the stock 2011 brake levers as they were parp and put ergon grips and mini bar-ends on

This is what it looked like out of the box, pre-conversion/setup
2011-10-29 10.23.19.jpg

Has a Brooks and more seatpost showing now and I've done a couple of FNRttC's on it, and a few 100km day rides in west Wales. It has even crossed the Preseli's twice though I don't recommend hitting cattle grids at speed on one.

It is mainly living in a cupbard at work at present as a errand runner/London meeting bike. If you want to borrow for a week or two give me a shout.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The SON dynamo is frighteningly expensive but worth every penny. Stick it on S (Light Sensor) mode and you can totally forget about it - switches itself on when needed and off when not.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I'm 6'2" and have the H type stem and telescopic seatpost on mine. Also have an Aberhallo stem adapter/extender and Gusset Wharfe 3" riser bars.
Next step in making it into a better bike is an 8 speed hub, either SA or more likely Shimano Nexus 8.

rps20140427_191206_885.jpg

Top Bottom