Thinking of buying a cheap motorbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I rode motorcycles for years too the yearning never goes away does it. My very last machine was a Gilera Runner 200cc. Bloody good fun as it could do very illegal speeds quite easily and handled really quite well. I must confess it was fun when lads on 125`s would take me on as it looked identical to the 125cc version ^_^

View attachment 524217

Seviced a fair few of those in my time (125 and 200 VX's), only real problem was the engine cradle bearings, bit of an ass to change (needle rolers and spacers).

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
@Smokin Joe.
I think the Isca is a really nice looking bike and looks a lot bigger than it is. What are thoughts on it. Have you had any issues or problems in your ownership. I agree the front tyre on the Assault does look a bit dubious. Ok in warm dry weather but in the wet it looks a bit iffy to me 👍
As I said upthread I've only had it since last Saturday, it was delivered half an hour after I sliced a finger open so my first action after signing for it was a trip to A&E and it will be next week sometime before I can ride it at all. All I've done so far is sit on it and run the engine for a while. I am in your position, full licence for many years and owned loads of bikes but just wanted a lightweight low powered machine at this stage of my life. All I can tell you so far is it has a very relaxed riding position which will suit low speed manouvering, something that was a requirement.

keithmac

Guru
Just had a quick look at Tempests.
Very nice retro looking bike.. Ive been watching a guy on YouTube called Spicy. He's done loads of reviews on Lexmotos and seems to know his stuff.

Full stainless exhaust, Delphi fuel injection, all metal panels irrc, nice quality finish.

10 years ago we wouldn't have gone anywhere near a "Chinese" brand but these are genuinely good bikes.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@Smokin Joe.
Sorry i must of gone cross eyed reading your post.
My sentiments exactly about wanting something to just amble along on and enjoy the journey instead of the destination

macp

Guru
Must admit I still have a soft spot for the Royal Enfield 500 Bullet EFI UCE's.

We finished with RE when they finished with Watsonian Squire as UK importer but still service a few.
Oh yeah I was drooling over one of these recently

1d79999b28cc9e229edc54e648559993.jpg

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
One of my friends has got a Lexmoto venom in a very nice shade of green. He's always singing its praises down the pub ( when it was open)
Someone else i knew also had a Chinese bike called the Arrow. It was only a few years old at the time but it looked dreadful. The rust on it was horrific. It was at the time when Chinese bikes were first making there appearance into the uk market

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
One thing to point out to the "Chinese bikes are crap brigade" is the shiny Japanese machine they are sitting on is probably a Chinese bike too. It is where most of them are made now.

Brads

The Enfield bullets are being discontinued.

I have had more bikes than I can count, and at present run a BMW Gs adventure but all I've looked at this past while is the Royal Enfield 650 Interceptors .

How to out-Triumph, Triumph.

Brads

One thing to point out to the "Chinese bikes are crap brigade" is the shiny Japanese machine they are sitting on is probably a Chinese bike too. It is where most of them are made now.

No they aren't. A few maybe but not most by a long chalk.

I will admit to being in the " All chinese bikes are crap" camp.

macp

Guru
The Enfield bullets are being discontinued.

I have had more bikes than I can count, and at present run a BMW Gs adventure but all I've looked at this past while is the Royal Enfield 650 Interceptors .

How to out-Triumph, Triumph.
Yes I had one too here is mine and in my opinion the best bike I ever owned. The Michelin Anakee tyres I found were superb for this bike.

271472175_0855cfbde2_o.jpg

I was a bit of a BMW fan and loved the aircooled boxer engine. Also had an R850R in rare white

7473275548_b56c46b086_c.jpg

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I had a BMW in a month back for a brake light fault, very convoluted system where the engine management tells the light to illuminate.

Turned out to be a fault in the wiring loom, would been a pain without diagnostics.

Anyhow, it ran like a dream and 100,000 miles on the clocks! so can forgive it for a wiring fault.

20200403_115812.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi,
As the weeks have rolled along being stuck at home I've been watching lots of YouTube content. Somehow I've managed to get watching clips on motorbikes and it's reignited my interest in them. Ive got a full bike licence but it's been many many years since I've owned one.
New they cost £1500 with a claimed good warranty and service back up.
I'm pretty tempted to take the plunge back into motorbikes again but still sitting on the fence as to what to do 🤔
Is your name Jeremy.:laugh:

Top Bottom