Thinking of changing from Zen Internet to Virgin - any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We could save GBP15 a month by switching from Zen+BT phoneline to Virgin Broadband and phoneline. We chose Zen initially as their customer service is very highly rated, but we haven't had to use it in 6 months. We're using a Mac laptop for our i'net access, which includes uploading baby photos and films for our relatives abroad. The main reason for the potential switch is to save money.

Anyone had any experience with Virgin that they'd like to share? Thanks for feedback.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Virgin are evil - one of their vans hit tdr1nka!

Haven't used Virgin and Zen does cost more but I have found their service and support excellent. I've thought about the same thing but I'd rather pay a bit more for a better service provision. I'll be interested to hear how you get on if you swop.

Tharg2007

Veteran
virgin are cack. If you have a problem your knackered.
Go with Be , they are fast and have no download limits or restrictions of any kind. Great value. Be value is only £14

Also if you want to sign up and you want a free connection then pm me your email address and I will refer you.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I have used Virgin Media (and Telewest before that) for the last few years for TV/Internet (not phone however) - and have had almost no problems at all. They can be a little slow to answer the phone occasionally, but they have detailed information on any outstanding problems on both web pages and on recorded messages. I would pick them again if I was starting from scratch.

Just my own experiences of course - I know other people have had problems.

Andrew

Melvil

Been with Virgin for two years now. Pretty much all of what people have said above is true. Their customer support isn't too bad but it really does depend on the time of day you ring in. The box used to overheat quite badly but seems fine now. We've attached an apple Airport wi-fi to the Virgin modem and internet is fine now. I'm sure there are better deals out there but this suits us quite well.

mondobongo

Über Member
Been with Virgin/Telewest for an easy four years now never had a major problem got all 3 for £30, I moved with them and it was painless everything arrived went live when they said it would.
However I know that when it goes wrong with them its a bloody nightmare and if you need a cable repull ie from the street to your house you are going to hell in a handcart.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Had Telewest and then virgin for a long time on and off. Telewest were on the whole good, when NTL took over though they are just basically idiots. Virgin are crap for several reasons.

STM
Phorm.
20Mbs is a joke, most people get nothing like this speed.
Until recently the premium rate tech support.

If you're going with virgin I'd strongly advise getting the 2Mbs or 4Mbs package.

Danny

Legendary Member
Zen has repeatedly got top marks in Which customer satisfaction surveys, while the big providers like Virgin, Tiscali, and Talk Talk score much worse. The reason they companies like Virgin can offer cheaper rates is that they cut right back on customer support.

Even through it is more expensive, I have stuck with my relatively small ISP (UKonline) because the customer service is so good. I don't need it very often , but when I do it makes a real difference to be able to easily speak or email real people who know what they are talking about.

People I know who are with Zen are even more impressed with their service. On the other hand I have heard plenty of disaster stories from people who are attracted to the big providers like Virgin.

I've had Virgin for about 2 1/2years it was a bit of a problem getting phone at the start but that was mainly due to being in a new development zone and not enough room in their local exchange. Apart from that I've not really had a problem with it. I can only compare it to Sky in my parents house and it certainly better for broadband, its been very stable.
I'm sorry to here about tdr1nka and their vans.

I have been with Virgin (previously NTL, previously Cabletel) since they cabled our street. I had broadband installed as soon as it was available. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times the service has been unavailable.

I presume you intend to go for cable broadband, rather than ADSL? If so, regarding the customer service angle, I have yet to phone Virgin and do not expect to because the phone always works and the broadband modem is a no-brainer - no software to go wrong. When I had the TV service, I had to phone more often.

Another plus is that if you go for the 'L' option for broadband, which is currently 4Mb/sec, you will be upgraded to 10Mb/sec for free by the summer.

we're with virgin, any problems we've had such as loss of connection have been down to the poor installation.
they just threw the cable down under the carpet, so eventually it was worn through by the castors on the chairs. then they had put it on top of the carpet grip, which eventually went into the cable and stopped the signal.
if you make sure the cable is installed properly then you should be OK, well unless you have to use their overseas call centre !but thats another story.

col

Legendary Member
been with virgin and ntl from the start,only problem we have had,is the odd time the server has gone down,but is normally up and running agian in no time,and it is a handful of times in all the years we have used them,as far as the boxs over heating,we have had a few ,but they are pretty quick in replacing them,so we are pretty happy,and we are on all three for 30 quid too.I would recommend virgin.

Top Bottom