Thinking of changing so soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scousegaz

Hiya Phil

If you get into the habit of repeating a key word to yourself like "clip clip clip" as you approach lights or similar it will ensure you dont forget your tied into your pedal and should prevent the embarrasing fall. I've recently changed to clipless and i'm finding clipping in whilst pulling away is harder than clipping out whilst stopping but practise makes perfect as they say.

Best wishes for the Op and hope all goes well :boxing:

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Thanks Scousegaz

I went out today for some practise, didn't find it too bad. I did a lot of stop and start, I'm sure it will get better; managed to stay upright. Hoping to go further tomorrow.

5 weeks to our op, had a few issues recently but hope the op can still go ahead; thanks for your support.

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Hi
Did my first ever 20 mile ride today, about 5 miles more than comfortable; but needed to do done. Having gone 10 miles what appeared to be up hill most of the time, I was looking forward to going back; only to find it was also up hill on the way back. Really pleased having done it, legs were a bit wobbly when I got off. I suffer from numb fingers after about 5 miles, it’s something I need to sort out; not sure how at the moment. Now need to get to 25 miles and beyond.

This was my first real ride using clip-in pedals, only needed to stop about five times. I did need to better gauge my approach to junctions, to avoid putting a foot down.

Had some more cycling clothing arrive today, so will even look the part, not sure what part.

Phil. :boxing: :wacko:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Glad you like your new bike with regards to the saddle make sure you have it set right as a few mm forwards or backwards and tilt can have a huge effect on comfort.
I went through about 3-4 saddles and never felt comfortable till i got my saddle tilt and how far back on the rails i wanted .Now i write it all down so i know how high, how far back from the pedals and what tilt i want so i keep it right whenever i need to move them for maintenance.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Phil

I think it is official....... You're addicted.

Good luck on 10th Jan, and remember to take it easy when you get back on the bike a few weeks after the op.

Best wishes

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Thanks Guys, much appreciated comments.
And yes I am addicted, and will seek advise on when I can get back in the saddle. Also hoping to get my wife on a bike once her feels up to it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Phil.

I don't have any particular bike advice but I'd like to congratulate you on your weight loss and offer my best wishes to you and your wife.

Here's a good news story that you might like:

One of my oldest friends developed kidney problems about 15 years ago. When the doctors investigated, they discovered that one of his kidneys hadn't formed properly and his only working one one was starting to deteriorate. He thought he was going to have to have dialysis but his dad turned out to be a good tissue match and donated a kidney. This was about 10 years ago. Both made a full recovery. My friend is now in his late 50s and his dad is now in his early 80s and both are still going strong!

Questions:
Do you think I should change to a road bike?
Which one do you suggest?
Is there something else I should consider?
Any other points I need to know?
I know the Defy v Specture topic has come up before.

Sorry it's a bit long winded. Thanks for your assistance.

Phil..

1. Yes
2. the Giant though they are all good
3. New tyres and pedals straight away perhaps :smile: Always the first upgrades for me (if you even get pedals)
4. Nope!

Little late I know, as I notice you've gone for the Trek and are loving it! They were all good choices, and don't think you could have made a bad one from your list. Glad you're loving it, keep getting out there!

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Hi Colin Thanks for the reassurance, pleased it went well for your friend and his father.

My wife has had two previous transplants, this last one has lasted 19 years. We have had a few setbacks, but as of today it looks good for your op on the 10th Jan to go ahead.

I have just ordered a turbo trainer, so I can safely cycle during my recovery period.

I have been enjoying putting some miles on my road bike. Used my hybrid today, to do a coastal off road route.

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Just an update.

The operation took place on the 10th January, it was a challenge for the surgeons but went well. My wife and I are doing well, her new kidney (my old one) is working well.

I have started gentle training on my turbo, can't wait to be back on the road. The Sunday before my op I did my best yet, a 42 mile ride with a break halfway.

Top Bottom