Thinking of doing another charity ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have been rather upset by the news that someone connected with me, but who I have never met has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

So I am thinking of doing the Prudential Ride 100 on behalf of the MND (Motor Neurone Disease Association).

I've done the Ride 100 twice before so I am not too phased by it, but I do think it is a bit of a faff with so many riders being out there and the logistics of getting into London at 5:40 am.

I feel quite compelled to do something.

Shall I ???

Ajax Bay

Guru
Quite a bit of your/your sponsors' money goes to the RideLondon organisers.
This ride (or one like it) would be logistically easier (from Berkshire) and more money would go to MNDA. Though harder than Ride London, you'd be less likely to have to grapple with cyclists of widely varying competence, most pretending that the ride's a race. No medal though.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
This ride (or one like it) would be logistically easier (from Berkshire) and more money would go to MNDA. Though harder than Ride London, you'd be less likely to have to grapple with cyclists of widely varying competence, most pretending that the ride's a race. No medal though.

Yikes, that's a ball breaker. I'd need to man up for that one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The organiser, London and Surrey Cycling Partnership LLP, annual accounts makes me think about £1million goes to the organisers (note 8, page 11), out of a total income of £9m (page 5). About 30,000 riders, so that's crudely £300 per paying rider, but some of that's being paid by sponsors, but then maybe if the sponsors weren't sponsoring RL, they'd be sponsoring charities. Edit: but equally you could argue that the loss of one cyclist isn't going to stop RL happening anyway because the ballot is still very oversubscribed so that money's lost pretty much to the charity regardless of what you do but then do you want to be a part of encouraging that loss... it's complicated ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom