Thinking of getting a single speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Femto

SPD's work fine
Cool. Okay, one other question rattled around my head about this:

On my road bike, I usually uncliip well in advance if I think I'm gonna have to stop or otherwise put my foot down. While running fixed, is this an issue? By this, I mean; if I did unclip am I very likely to get a spud in the back of my leg?

What's the preferred method? Am I missing an important/useful bit of info?

redddraggon

Blondie
You'll pick up clipless fixed riding pretty quickly especially if you are used to riding clipless with a freewheel. It'll become natural after 5mins.

Femto

You'll pick up clipless fixed riding pretty quickly especially if you are used to riding clipless with a freewheel. It'll become natural after 5mins.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely used to it. Flat pedals feel strange now. I'm used to pulling the pedals upwards. I think I'd tire out a lot faster on a climb if I could only use downstroke.
dead_n_final.gif

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cool. Okay, one other question rattled around my head about this:

On my road bike, I usually uncliip well in advance if I think I'm gonna have to stop or otherwise put my foot down. While running fixed, is this an issue? By this, I mean; if I did unclip am I very likely to get a spud in the back of my leg?

What's the preferred method? Am I missing an important/useful bit of info?

To start with you can unclip but still keep your foot on the pedal until you come to a halt. After a while you soon get used to it and now I don't unclip until I am virtually stationary.

The other thing to get the hang of is getting your foot in the right position to then be able to move off. I press the front brake, lean forward to unweight the bike and then with the clipped in foot move to desired position.
Again after a bit of practice it is now 2nd nature.

Femto

To start with you can unclip but still keep your foot on the pedal until you come to a halt. After a while you soon get used to it and now I don't unclip until I am virtually stationary.

The other thing to get the hang of is getting your foot in the right position to then be able to move off. I press the front brake, lean forward to unweight the bike and then with the clipped in foot move to desired position.
Again after a bit of practice it is now 2nd nature.

Well I do sometimes unclip very late but as a rule I unclip and then, as you say, keep my foot on the pedal. Sometimes I don't need to stop and I can just clip back in and continue. I'm sure it'll become second nature once I've tried it.

[QUOTE 1135486"]
Learn to trackstand
[/quote]

The thought has definitely crossed my mind. Maybe, if I do get a fixie (highly likely), I'll do some practice on my street first.

OP
OP
C

croyde

So I have been practising fixed on my new Langster but how the hell do you guys have any control over the bike when speeding downhill. Blimey! it's hard.

I switched back to freewheel last night as I do so like freewheeling down hills and thus able to concentrate on steering and braking.

Hats off to you fixie types.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
So I have been practising fixed on my new Langster but how the hell do you guys have any control over the bike when speeding downhill. Blimey! it's hard.

lol , certainly that is a wake up call when you go down a hill for the first time fixed.

It takes a while but the thing to do is to relax your legs so they are in a controlled spin. It takes a bit of getting used to and I have managed to top out at 34 (200 rpm) which is less then certainly others can do.

For me that was starting to feel uncomfortable and now about 170 rpm is what I feel happiest with.

robin IX

I found that if I let the pedals move my legs round it feels uncontrollable but if I'm trying to keep pressure on the pedals it seems smoother.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Learn to relax your legs and let the bike pedal you. Tap the brakes every now and then when you feel its getting too fast to avoid the runaway train sensation. If you fight the bike with your legs constantly your knee's will be shot!

Top Bottom