Thinking of getting a trike, advice please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dmb said:
I have a trice s and 700, the 700 is hand down a better trike, much lighter! The only down side was the poor mudgaurds but I belive these have been improved recently. Bigger tyres and tyre pressures make more difference than the suspension.

The biggest difference is the recline angle. This is really personal as is the seat as already mentioned.

Yep - I have the new guards on the Expedition and they are much more solid and vibration free, although the clearance on 1.75 tyres is close.

wafflycat

I'm very happy with my ICE T (no suspension). It has mudguards on each wheel - indeed I'd go as far as to say that mudguards are an essential item to have to stop the splashing from front wheels in poor weather.

I also got rid of the chunky tyres and put on Schwalbe Marathons. Much easier cycling and no p*nct*res so far even on Norfolk's finest flint strewn and potholed country lanes.

The other *must have* for me are mirrors. I don't need these on an upright, but have found them *essential* to have on the 'bent.

Then - clipless pedals - a *must have* to keep the feet secure.

Lights - I have mine (front) mounted on a Minoura Space Grip on the front boom and this holds my two lights.

These days, if I was in the market to buy another 'bent, I'd be needing to go second-hand - probably from Kevin at D-Tek as he's my nearest 'bent dealer and where Mr Norbert Frosty was purchased from.

squeaker

Über Member
700 vs S - curious....

dmb said:
I have a trice s and 700, the 700 is hand down a better trike, much lighter! ...... Bigger tyres and tyre pressures make more difference than the suspension.
I'm curious: are you comparing a (rear) suspended 'S' with a 700? And what tyres / pressures do you use on each?
Regarding the 'bigger tyres' comment, do you mean tyres or wheel size, as the 700 has both bigger (rear) and smaller (front) wheels compared to a suspended 'S'.
(For reference, my suspended 'S' currently runs on Marathon Racers - old type - at 60 to 65psi.)
Thanks!

I must admit that this was one of the factors when I was short-listing trikes.

I was replacing a (much modified) Peter Ross Trice with 26" rear wheel.

The ones I had tried were all smaller wheeled (Trice, KMX, Hotmover, Greenspeed) all had small rear wheels and the ride was certainly less comfortable. I had listed the Catrike for the stronger frame, but was still uncertain whether the Road / Speed with small rear wheels were going to be any better.

As it was the Catrike Expedition came out which is exactly what I wanted.

Although the newer Trice 26 may be comparable, I found the Expedition faster, stronger more responsive and assured than the Trice. It was absolutely comfortable from the outset.

As I have always said - personal choice and you need to get your bottom on a seat before buying, but do not write off the bigger rear wheels.

Top Bottom