Thinking of getting a trike, advice please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SoulOnIce

In the new year I think I may investigate getting a Trike. And I'm after some advice. I currently ride a hybrid, which does me fine but I'd like another bike.

Firstly I want a trike and not a two wheeler bent cos I want to be able to use it for my commute in the winter when it gets icy. And I've guessing a trike is the way to go. Plus I just like the idea of having something very different these trikes look like so much darn fun to ride.

The trike will be used mainly for a 30 mile round trip commute (with panniers) but also for general leisure cycling and fun.

I reckon I can afford a max of £1,300 (including any accessories, which must include a rack and fittings for lights). I've read some bits on the boards and I know I really need to go and do some test rides before I commit, but any suggestions as to what to be looking for - and also shops near the Midlands that I could go and visits would be much appreciated.

How tall you are?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
D-Tek's details as follows:

01353 648 177

Main Street
Little Thetford
Cambridgeshire
CB6 1BR

Worth ringing before you go so he can schedule an appointment for you to ride a variety of trikes. It's all great fun!

OP
OP
SoulOnIce

SoulOnIce

mickle said:
I have a Speedy in your size for sale. It doesn't take a rack but it does have a Carradice saddle bag fitted under the seat and would take another.

Sounds interesting.

What is a "Speedy?" Can you post a link to a relevant site. Any pics of how the saddle bags fit underneath? Also how much do you want for it?

here's mine;

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16907

There is a rack available apparently, dunno how much tho.

OP
OP
SoulOnIce

SoulOnIce

OK - am still thinking of getting a trike and may well take Mickle up on an offer of his speedy. But I'm still unsure as to what type of trike I should be going for. I will of course vist the D-Tek place as suggested, but a bit more info form the oracle that is CC would be helpful.

My requirements are:
1. Must be able to take a rack so I can use it for my 30 mile round trip commute
2. Must be good quality and reliable
3. Must be able to take a faring if I decide to upgrade it.
4. Want mudgaurads on it
5. Would like it to be as fast as possible given the above constriants
6. Also I apprecaite these are not cheap and I will have to fork out but money is a bit tight so it does come into things. So being able to fit a standard rack or get cehaper mudguards or fairing could make a difference.

Not bothered about it being foldable or being able to go off road.

As far as I can see the main options are:
- Catrikes
- Velotechnik Scorpion
- ICE trikes
- Windcheetah of some sort.

Final question is about suspension. Is it worth getting one with rear suspension(such as the Scorpion) or does it make inefficent use of the pedaling like with a mountain bike?

So given the above, which, if any, of the above trikes are worth me considering.

You are quite welcome to test ride Catrike, pm your address and contact details and I will arrange something with you when I am on a delivery. I have a couple of ex demo machines about to go on sale to.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I have a Trice with rear suspension and my husband has the same version without (his is three years old). They've done the same amount of miles now (or mine's done more) but I definitely think the ride is much more enjoyable on mine. I also have Big Apple tyres all round that make for a very comfy ride, even over bumpy roads.

I'm really happy with my Trice (which I bought from D-Tek) and it ticks all your boxes except for maybe the price issue! Mine cost (including mudguards, rack, headrest, chain guard etc) £1,900 which seemed an awful lot at the time but feels better and better value the more I use it.

I was also interesting in the HP Velotechnic Skorpion but the seat didn't look as comfy to me although I didn't actually have a go of one in the end.

OP
OP
SoulOnIce

SoulOnIce

Catrike - you have a PM

Helen - thanks for the comments. I was guessing I'd have to pay a few quid for a trike so the price is not surprising. A question:

1. On DF bikes with suspension a lot of the pedalling power is lost through the suspension. Is this the same with a suspension trike? I take it you have ridden both yours and your husband's trikes - does his ride faster?

Top Bottom