Thinking of getting rid of the car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
My only worry about this is,what if im needed by my family in a hurry?otherwise id get rid tomorrow.
Any one have solutions,or is there non in reality?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hire one or get a taxi?
The fixed costs alone - tax disc (yes, I know...) insurance and servicing of a car pay for a lot of taxis and the odd hire. That's before you've put any fuel in let alone bought it...

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Seems a simple solution,cheers Doc,ill put it to the boss,er MLML:biggrin:

Noodley

col said:
My only worry about this is,what if im needed by my family in a hurry?otherwise id get rid tomorrow.
Any one have solutions,or is there non in reality?

I'd start by looking at:

how often this (needed by family in a hurry) has happened
how likely it is to happen in the future
what time scale would cover "hurry"
what options are available to get there other than car

Then I'd ask on here ;)

domtyler

Über Member
My approach is to keep one small car, an oldish one that I don't give a toss about if it gets vandalised as I have no off street parking. You don't have to pay the depreciation as it has already depreciated to worthless. I rarely drive it myself, it is my wife's so don't pay any of the bills. When it starts going wrong we'll buy something newer.

We definitely need access to a car, it is very handy just for nipping up to the supermarket or for anything up to an hours drive away. Any longer journey and I'll hire something more substantial.

we don't have a car. but all our family live within 4 miles of us so a taxi in an emergency isn't a problem.
the wife shops in town, i take the bus to the bigger stores to shop for the more expensive items.we live onlty afew hundred yards from the main bus routes.
we're used to it. we used to hire a car for the holidays.like anything else it takes a bit of getting used to and sorting out a new routine.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the replies guys,and good info,to think on.
We dont have a whizzgo,not even heard of that company one round here?

Dave5N

Über Member
here. Take it you don't have Google either?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Didnt think to google,as there are none here,after checking your link,the nearest one is newcastle,but its a great idea.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Dave5N said:
Yes, I thought it was a good idea. I liked the fact it was under a fiver and everything was included, even fuel.

Dont you mean 50 a month?i could find the fiver one ?

Top Bottom